Windows 2008 R2 / 2012 R2 - BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device

scubes

Mar 26, 2016
I have a ProxMox 3.4 system that has a Windows 2012 R2 guest.

The guest has been running fine. Suddenly, when we reboot the VM, it always goes to a BSOD that says Inaccessible Boot Device.

We are using IDE for the disk and the following settings:

Hardware:
upload_2016-3-26_13-29-17.png

Options:
upload_2016-3-26_13-28-37.png

Using dism from the recovery console, I can see that there were updates installed on the Windows VM on 3/11/2016.

My case differs from yours somewhat, but I can see you've got CD-rom as a first boot device.

Try to remove the CD from the Hardware menu. I couldn't boot some VM-s from the gui as they had cd-roms(ISO-s) on a no-longer available NFS share "disk". Under that I mean this:

http://i.imgur.com/LpT7Iya.png

I've removed the ISO and all was fine.

Also remove that "Unused Disk 1", since it gets created when you remove the last disk(read VHD/virtual disk) from a KVM. It's simply a placeholder and might cause your issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post.

So, I was getting the BSOD before I mounted the CD. I connected the CD in order to troubleshoot via recovery console.

The second disk is actually a disk with data. I had disconnected it in order to troubleshoot as well.

Oh I see. I thought it was just the placeholder disk you get when you remove the main/only/last disk from a KVM, but it's a real disk, sorry.

There are some results for searching Google.com for "windows 2012 r2 Inaccessible Boot Device". Some complaints are due to windows updates.

This is a vmware discussion on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/2ama2d/vm_issues_server_2012_blue_screens_inaccessible/. OP solved the issue by:

"Fixed by changing the SCSI controller from LSI Logic SAS to LSI Logic Parallel..."

Also was there any changes made to the SCSI controller in Options tab? I see you have virtio there.

My only disk on my windows server is a virtio0 which holds the OS. Initially, I've had the default LSI xxx scsci controller type. I've swapped it to virtio and just rebooted the VM after that. The VM booted up without any issues.

Your best bet is to find out which update were applied and search for possible issues it could have caused on google.com. Next might be trying to change the SCSI controller in Options tab to see if a different boots the VM up.

I know I had to mess with SCSI controller in Proxmox 4 to have Reactos 0.4(Windows XP open source imitation) recognize the install disks.

You could also try to hammer F8 while your windows VM boots. You might find some help or clues there. That's the rescue area of windows iirc. Never mind hitting F8 does nothing in the browser. It once or twice saved my windows 7 PC some years ago.

Finally, I'd try to back it up and import it to a new VM. Also copy over your SMBIOS settings uuid if you do that as Windows will deactivate itself with a new uuid.

I don't know anything else to say, what this is what I'd try.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!