Windows 10 VM licensing

Jarvar

Aug 27, 2019
Hello everybody. I’m sure this has been brought up before, but I’m wondering if there have been any changes or developments in using a Windows 10 VM on Proxmox alongside Windows Server 2019 Standard.

Right now I am trying to find out what is the best method to go about it.
I am working with a small dental office, they have perhaps 3 computers in the operatory rooms and 3 workstation computers. The dentist wants to be able to use his laptop to access the software on the computers via RDP. Usually there is 1 computer in the office which has RDP setup.
However, sometimes the office manager also uses this computer and there is a competition to use a computer. Bringing in a laptop does not solve this dilemna because it still RDPs into the same computer and the computer does not allow concurrent sessions while also being physically accessessed.
I was going to setup a Windows 10 VM so that the doctor could access it via RDP locally and remotely without conflicting with the office managers physcial computer.

What licensing option would you suggest?
Or is it easier to setup a SFF headless computer for constant access?
Thank you for your time and expertise.

Hi,

I don't know what this question has to do with Proxmox VE.
Microsoft license-related topic you should ask Microsoft.

Hi,

I don't know what this question has to do with Proxmox VE.
Microsoft license-related topic you should ask Microsoft.
Okay thanks. I thought I would ask if anybody had any experience with it.
Thank you for your time.

I'm able to run Dell OEM version of Windows 10 on any identical model (but not necessarily hardware configuration) of Dell PC as the original one. Didn't try to run this OEM version of Windows 10 on the same PC but in in a VM though. Maybe CPU type must be "host".

A normal Windows10 Pro Licence with Qemu CPU (Default) with max 6 Cores and you are safe. We had a lot of Microsoft Licence Controls in the past, and this was always ok. OEM is only for a PHY machine as distributor - that would be a breach of license.

Hi,

If you want to virtualize a Windows Desktop OS, you need either to pay for a Windows VDA license (monthly fee) or have Windows Open License with at least one Windows 10 license and pay for software assurance (ask to any MS partner in your area).

Another option is, if the server running Proxmox has at least a Windows Server Standard license (no matter if oem or open), it allows you to have 2 VMs running on the same hardware, so you can use a VM for the server and another one as an RDS server for desktop/s (remember to buy the corresponding RDP CAL, otherwise you'll not stay compliant).

Or just buy a SFF computer with Windows 10 pre-installed and RDP into it.

MS licensing is always complicated (and expensive)...

Carles

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!