[SOLVED] Windows 10 guest agent / balloon issues

Apr 13, 2018
I have Windows 10 installed in a VM. I have followed https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_10_guest_best_practices and installed all the necessary drivers including the guest agent and balloon driver. I can see the balloon service running within Windows. I can talk to the guest agent with "qm agent" for example,

root@pve:~# qm agent 102 ping
root@pve:~#

However, from the proxmox GUI, I see "No network information" for the IPs of this VM (see screenshot below). In addition, the VM is using 90+% of the 16GB memory allocated to it. From within Windows, the system seems to be using a small fraction of the available memory. The Windows VM is completely idle at the moment.

My questions are

1. Why don't I see the VM's IP addresses even though the guest agent is installed?
2. Why doesn't the balloon driver cause unused memory to be reclaimed from the VM?

windows_mem.png

root@pve:~# qm config 102
agent: 1
balloon: 4096
boot: cdn
bootdisk: scsi1
cores: 2
cpu: host
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win.iso,media=cdrom,size=309208K
ide2: local:iso/Win10_1709_English_x64.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 16384
name: windows
net0: virtio=D2:9A:7D:D1:CC:C9,bridge=vmbr0,tag=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
protection: 1
scsi0: swaps:vm-102-disk-1,size=8G
scsi1: local-zfs:vm-102-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=64G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=a495a2b7-0a96-4d64-882e-2b235c2ba732
sockets: 1
vga: qxl

I tried

root@pve:~# qm agent 102 network-get-interfaces
{
"error" : {
"class" : "CommandDisabled",
"desc" : "The command guest-network-get-interfaces has been disabled for this instance"
}
}

Reactions: alamadrid
Reactions: alamadrid
Updating the qemu-agent to the version linked above fixed that problem, thanks.

Get-Service balloonservice does not show the balloonservice to be running. The driver is installed. I thought it was working based on the fact that the driver was installed and device manager seemed happy with the device.

There are instructions for enabling the balloon driver here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Dynamic_Memory_Management#Requirements_for_Windows_VM which do not mention Windows 10. I'm guessing I need to do this part:

5. Install the BLNSVR with "BLNSVR.exe -i"

It looks like the virtio-win.iso I used originally was virtio-win-0.1.141 which I got from here. I guess I should be using the latest version rather than the stable? Looks like the latest is virtio-win-0.1.149. Should that be generally good?

I have a question on regards to this;

Similar situation as OP:

How did you know qemu-ga running on the guest was outdated?, the reason why I'm asking is because updating the qemu-ga fixed my problem too.
I am just guessing, but imho their daily work involves working with the VirtIO drivers etc. and so they are known to the latest versions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!