Win10 Spice not working

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
Hi, I've a Kubuntu 16.04 vm and spice works fine (I've "Use tablet for pointer" Yes, "Qemu agent" Yes, Display "Spice (qlx)" and in the guest I've installed spice-vdagent).
But when I try to set spice on Windows 10 pro (or even Win7), the mouse keeps being grabbed and is not precise/does not work fluid in the guest. I've tried Virtio driver 112 stable and 118 "the latest the greatest", but same result. Am I missing something?
I've set Qemu agent first, installed the drivers, installed guest-agent, turn the vm off, enabled Spice, installed (right click on the basic microsoft video, search for a driver, etc.) the spice video drivers, turn the VM off and then on.
I've the QEMU services running.
Proxmox is at the latest not subscription version, the vm config is as follow:
Code:
agent: 1
boot: cd
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
description: Win10 DHCP
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: Win10Dev
net0: virtio=62:66:34:31:31:36,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win8
parent: prespice
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-109-disk-1,size=50G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=c1abbf36-7e41-431f-a6e1-f7d055e51bf1
sockets: 1
vga: qxl
Thanks!

Probably, because everywhere is stated that if you install guest-tools, should be included and installed!!!
When has this been broken? I installed a test Win7 recently and AFAIR I had the same issue.
In any case, I've dowloaded the file you pointed me, extracted the zip, doble clcked in vdagent and vdservice, rebooted but nothing new shows up in "services" (what should it be named like? this dumb OS does not let you filter by name), nor the mouse is not captured anymore :(
Thanks a lot

Probably, because everywhere is stated that if you install guest-tools, should be included and installed!!!

there is no guest-tool exe for win10, only for win7.

a double click to vdagent does NOT install it, please read the docs for installing services on windows (you need to do this in the windows commandline).

I reply to myself about the manual installation. I've found in a oVirt page the necessary steps, that are: run cmd as administrator, go in the directory where the unpacked files are, run "vdservice install" and then "net start vdservice".
In services, you will have now "RHEV Spice Agent".
Mouse speed seems not that bad to me, I keep testing and will update the wiki, but guest-tools seem broken to me.
Thanks a lot

there is no guest-tool exe for win10, only for win7.

a double click to vdagent does NOT install it, please read the docs for installing services on windows (you need to do this in the windows commandline).
Argh, the wiki is not that clear about it, so I should remove them? How is that I've been able to have "QUEMU Guest Agent" and "QUEMU Guest Agent VSS Provider" running? I need to try to find how to uninstall them? Seems at least that shutdown is fine with them installed.

Argh, the wiki is not that clear about it, so I should remove them? How is that I've been able to have "QUEMU Guest Agent" and "QUEMU Guest Agent VSS Provider" running? I need to try to find how to uninstall them? Seems at least that shutdown is fine with them installed.

these services are installed by double-click qemu-guest agent package.

see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

these services are installed by double-click qemu-guest agent package.

see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent
I know, is the way I installed them :) But you stated "there is no guest-tool exe for win10, only for win7", I of course was referring to guest-agent (qemu-ga-x64.msi), so just now I see the confusion that has been made (I thought was the same thing). I will investigate further tomorrow since I'm too confused now to write something good :)
Thanks again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!