Will Proxmox recognize my software RAID5?

Zamana

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi!

Currently I have a home server with Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04.3. It has been running for about 2 year and a half.

I have a software RAID5 with 4 x 4TB disks ((11TB net disk space), whith 6.1TB of actual data.

I want to install a fresh new server under Proxmox, but I don't want (and I can't) lose my data.

Question: will Proxmox recognize the RAID5?

Thanks.
Regards.

Ok.

After installing a VM (another Ubuntu Server 14.04), it will be able to recognize my former RAID5?

What I mean is to avoid the obvious strategy of make a backup of 6TB...

Proxmox is a normal Debian with a quite new linux kernel. So it is technically possible to do anything - you just need to know how to do it. But the Proxmox Installer CD will not do that job.

Proxmox is a normal Debian with a quite new linux kernel. So it is technically possible to do anything - you just need to know how to do it. But the Proxmox Installer CD will not do that job.

Supposing that I know how to use mdadm (and I actually do), I'll be able to "recover" my current RAID without any data loss, so I will be able to use it from my VMs. Is it right?

Sure you will, as dietmar said. It will not be available in the installer phase (you will need to install Promox itself on another drive, even USB SSD - not stick) and then you can import your RAID volume with no issues.

You did not specified exactly what you want to do. But for what I see that should work without problems.

You did not specified exactly what you want to do. But for what I see that should work without problems.

I'm sorry. English is not my native language.

Looking for similar questions I found this thread:

http://bit.ly/1m1xVbe

Specifically, the messages #19, #21 and #24/#25 express better what I'm trying to achieve.

By from what all of you have been saying until now, I guess that this is quite feasible.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Well, finally I installed Proxmox and, after installing mdadm, my raid array was automatically detected and restored. No data loss. Thanks!

Now I'm struggling to find a way to make my mounting points in the host visible to my first VM. I guess that this has to be done inside VM->Hardware->Add->Harddisk, but no matter what I do, the VM always says that the disk doesn't have a valid partition table, although the disk is already mounted successfully in the host.

Any hints?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!