[SOLVED] Why is the 'data' LV much smaller that the disc?

maeries

Jul 10, 2015
I apologize if this is a noob question.
So I installed Proxmox "normally", i.e. with LVM and ext4 some time ago. Now i noticed that my SSD shows up with 223,57GiB in size under Datacenter->pve->Disks. But under Datacenter->pve->Disks->LVM-Thin the data LV is just 141,43GiB. What is the rest used for? Can I increase the LV?

The PVE installer by default splits your disk into a static LV for your host data (i.e. PVE itself) and an LVM-thin for guests. They are given about equal amounts of disk space. If you shrink your root LV correctly, you can of course extend the thin one. Make backups beforehand ;)

Thanks. Guess I have to research the what static and thin means to fully understand your answer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!