Why does Proxmox take the full hard disk?

kankamuso

Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

Just wanted to know if it is possible, during installation, to leave some free space on hard disk to install other things (namely, a DRDB partition to share data with other proxmox server). The installation takes the whole disk....

Thanks in advance,

Jose.

Hi Jose,
no it's not possible during installation. But you can after installation (first install to an single disk) transfer the system to an other disk with own layout - handmade but a little bit linux experience needed.

The root and swap-partition (logical volume) can sized with boot-params swapsize and maxroot (like "linux maxroot=20 swapsize=8").

Udo

Hi Jose,
no it's not possible during installation. But you can after installation (first install to an single disk) transfer the system to an other disk with own layout - handmade but a little bit linux experience needed.

The root and swap-partition (logical volume) can sized with boot-params swapsize and maxroot (like "linux maxroot=20 swapsize=8").

Udo

Thanks a lot. I was a bit scared something could break in the process...

Hi again,

I have been having a look at the forum looking for an explanation on the proccess of repartitioning my space. I have seen that all remaining space on the system disk is used for data (which seems to be used just for VMs, right?).

But I cannot figure out how to do the migration from one disk to another step by step... Sny documents on this?.

Is the alternative way of installing Proxmox on top of debian a safe alternative for Beta 2?

Thanks in advance,

Jose

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!