when writing to disk and memory being swallowed up

John Morrison

Feb 26, 2018
Sweden
Hello,

I'm seeing when I write a large file within a VM linux, I'm also filing up the VM systems memory.

This memory is released when I delete the file.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test1.img bs=512k count=1000000

Is this normal?

Cheers

proxmox is on the latest version and using ZFS rpool for everything. Can someone at least say why this is the case when writing to disk within the VM. The VM's memory us used up to the size of the file written to disk. Once you reboot the machine or delete the file, the memory is returned back. I have tried different caches, like writeback etc. I'm using raid 10 tripple mirror.

proxmox-ve: 5.2-2 (running kernel: 4.15.18-7-pve)

zpool status rpool
pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 0h57m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 14 01:21:03 2018
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
rpool ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
sda2 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdb2 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-1 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdc ONLINE 0 0 0
sdd ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-2 ONLINE 0 0 0
sde ONLINE 0 0 0
sdf ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-3 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdg ONLINE 0 0 0
sdh ONLINE 0 0 0
logs
nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_2TB_S464NB0K707684L-part1 ONLINE 0 0 0
cache
nvme0n1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

Well Bil, what a newbie I feel. After all these years..... just seems like something I've never whiteness, or that I've never even opened my eyes to such inappropriate well-seasoned Linux admin behavior :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!