when we start copy or clone UI become unresponsive

Chiranjeevi

May 6, 2017
Hi
we have installed Proxmox VE 4.4 , RAID 1 10TB, enabled Cache

we need to move the VMs KVM based raw files from other server to Proxmox, so we have copied those VMs to External HDD and connected though USB3.0 and mounted to proxmox server.

we create the VMs though GUI and i start replaceing the VM file by using 'dd' command

when we start doing this. iodelay will start increaseing and after some time GUI is not resposive we can not see CPU usage graph. and access VM and node show red.
Main issue is it will start blocking the KVM, means the VM which is already running will also become very dead slow.

i saw some threads related to this issue. they are asking to make RAID 1 with Cache

here is my pveperf output
Code:
pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      302463.72
REGEX/SECOND:      2058739
HD SIZE:           94.37 GB (/dev/dm-0)
BUFFERED READS:    209.37 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 6.73 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     673.57
DNS EXT:           83.98 ms
DNS INT:           0.92 ms

the huge amount of I/O wait probably makes the storage status unresponsive, and as the storage is unresponsive, we mark the node as red

if you have any doubt check the command 'pvesm status' on the host
if this command does not return in a couple a seconds the node will be marked red
the solution: use SSDs !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!