When can we expect a new proxmox-ve version based on Debian Squeeze ?

alain

Renowned Member
May 17, 2009
France/Paris
Hi,

Debian Squeeze is planned to be released on February 5/6.

When can we expect a new version of Proxmox-ve based on Squeeze ? Will it takes weeks or days ?

From my point of view, a proxmox-ve version based on squeeze would be interesting on at least two aspects :
- ext4 as default file system (?) (better performance and less time to check...)
- I could install Dell OMSA with the new Ubuntu/Debian repository, without problem.

I have a new server to install, so I wonder if I should wait for the release of a new Promox-ve based on Squeeze, or if it will too late (months...).

Thanks for the information.

Alain

Hi,

Debian Squeeze is planned to be released on February 5/6.

When can we expect a new version of Proxmox-ve based on Squeeze ? Will it takes weeks or days ?

From my point of view, a proxmox-ve version based on squeeze would be interesting on at least two aspects :
- ext4 as default file system (?) (better performance and less time to check...)
- I could install Dell OMSA with the new Ubuntu/Debian repository, without problem.

I have a new server to install, so I wonder if I should wait for the release of a new Promox-ve based on Squeeze, or if it will too late (months...).

Thanks for the information.

Alain
Hi,
if i'm right, pve 2.x based on squeeze. But it's will take a time to get this in production (a first beta should came in some weeks? Q1/Q2 2011... )

Udo

Hi Udo,

pve 2.x will be based on Squeeze (at least it was announced), but I see no problem to release a new 1.x (x>7) based on Squeeze, even if it does not have all the features announced for 2.x.

In fact, only if it provided the points I mentionned (ext4, Dell OMSA support...), it will be worth to release a pve version based on Squeeze.

But I am sure there is some work to include all drivers, KVM features, vz patchs, test compatibility with all pve scripts, test install, and so on, before releasing such a new version. This is why I asked.

Alain

I'm also interested if (and if yes then when) pve 1.x basing on Squeeze distro is planned? It would be nice to see it earlier than in pve 2.x.

@ alain
This shouldn't be so much work, current pve 1.6/1.7 are basing on Squeeze kernel and newest quemu etc. So only userland will change (apache, openssl and other packages which should be not invasive for whole Proxmox System).

Regards,

Michu

I'm also interested if (and if yes then when) pve 1.x basing on Squeeze distro is planned? It would be nice to see it earlier than in pve 2.x.

@ alain
This shouldn't be so much work, current pve 1.6/1.7 are basing on Squeeze kernel and newest quemu etc. So only userland will change (apache, openssl and other packages which should be not invasive for whole Proxmox System).

Regards,

Michu
Hi,
I'm hope the proxmox-team use the time for pve 2.x and not for updating pve 1.x to squeeze ;)
lenny will be supported long enough, and i guess that in one year many user use pve 2.x.

Udo

Yes, but if they update pve in smaller steps it will be easier for us to move to 2.x :) I don't like revolutions;)

Michu

I agree, it would be a step towards 2.0, as there was others, and this would ease at the end the migration to 2.0.

Alain

We' re currently using Debian Squeeze on a new server with proxmox for some weeks.
There are some small issues, with good workarounds, no hard problems.
The system seems to perform very well.

Yes, we work hard to get 2.0 running (no time to update 1.x to squeeze).

I understand, but there could be some time before 2.0 would be released. There is certainly some developpement still to do, and then one or more beta before final release. And moreover, The migration path for existing installation could be hard to follow, or even a bit risky, if I consider all the features announced in the roadmap for 2.0 :

• Complete new web interface (new javascript framework, RIA)
  • Based on Debian Squeeze
  • New cluster communication based on corosync
  • HA for KVM guests
  • User management (advanced)
  • RESTful web API
So, we'll have to migrate to a new debian version, change the web interface and API, the synchronisation between nodes etc... Will it be easy for existing installations ?

Proxmox-ve 2.0 will certainly be great for new insallations, but could be challenging for existing 1.x installations.

I would personnally prefer smaller steps, easier to follow, that brings me sooner features that would be useful to me...

Just my opinion...

Alain

as soon as 2.0 is stable we provide a supported upgrade path for existing 1.x installations. (during the beta testing there is time to test this)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!