What is the difference ?

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
I am using pve-zsync and on wiki page, for syncing a vm between two host, I see two commands,

pve-zsync sync --source 100 --dest 192.168.1.2:tank/backup --verbose --maxsnap 2 --name test1 --limit 512

and also

zfs send rpool/backup/vm-100-disk-1@rep_test100_2015-06-12_11:03:01 | ssh root@192.168.15.1 zfs receive vm/vm-200-disk-1

I want to create tasks and do regular sync between host. One for offsite backup only. So what is the difference?

The first can be used if both source and destination are on a PMX server. The second can be used if source or destination are not part of a PMX node/server.

Can we also say, first one is for SYNCs and second one for COPY whole file ?

NO. The both are do the same: transfer the data from the source to the destination - in fact is a asyncron replication(stream), only the tools are different, nothing else. And is not about copy or sync any kind of file. It will transfer only disk blocks, more like rsync do for files, but insted it use disk blocks.

Reactions: ozgurerdogan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!