What is the best iSCSi SAN for you ?

yakakliker

Renowned Member
May 19, 2011
France
I am testing different soluce so 1 question to all :

What is for you the best open source SAN for iSCSi storages + HA ?

Openmediavault, Nas4free, Openfiler, other ?

All of these have the HA possibilities.

As Debian is the best OS, the answer from your list is clear to me.

But I never used omv in production, afaik its still beta and not that widely used in production. A lot users love ZFS based NAS boxes, but this is not available on Linux based systems (without manual installation).

As a general rule, if you want HA you should use always premium hardware, premium network and premium SAN equipment. And you should do a lot of tests to make sure you can handle all possible failure scenarios.

last version form openfiler was published 2 years ago.
https://forums.openfiler.com/index.php?/forum/8-announcements/

I am not that big fan of bsd based boxes, as we love Linux.

We use an EMC VNXe3100 with dual controller, multipath without problems.

ISCSI + LVM works perfect in a proxmox cluster with 2 nodes.

Best regards,

At work we have two EMC VNX5300 which is very expensive and I guess an VNXe3100 is likewise not cheap. Given the original question I think an VNXe3100 is way over the budget;-)

Hi,
if ISCSI I would go for openattic.org - debian based (I like debian much more than basd and solaris-stuff) and AFAIK more stable/reliable than openmediavault.

Udo
But openattic is very purely documented and the little documentation you find is written in German!
Do you have any personal experience with openattic?

I currently use openmediavault with NFS for my proxmox cluster, and its been working great! Only complaint is the lack of VLAN support from the web GUI, but you can still do it manually from the CLI.

But openattic is very purely documented and the little documentation you find is written in German!
Do you have any personal experience with openattic?

Hi,
I have openattic since round about one year on a test-system (partly in production) and it's performs well.
A little bit attention should be on updates, because they change some month ago the database-schematics. An test-system (virtual) is an good choice for that.
Before I have played with omv - but I see that the admin password is stored as plain text in the config (and the developer say that must be), such a system is not for data. Perhaps it's better now, but security is not the preference of the dev.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!