What is taking up space on Local?

sgatke

Nov 16, 2018
I recently installed Proxmox on a single node for a home lab running on an Intel NUC7. I am impressed by how well things are working and am really happy to have migrated from ESXi 5.5 to Proxmox.
I am still learning a lot and have become a frequent visitor of this forum for information.

One question I did not find an answer for is this: What is actually taking up the space on my Local drive?
Notice it is Local and not Local-LVM.
Currently 60% of the space is used (22.77GB of 36.17GB).
If I look under Content for the storage it just tells me I have the virtio-win ISO file that takes up about 300mb.
So, what is taking up the rest of the 22GB on this storage?

I just did a 'standard installation' and don't remember changing anything. Looking under Summary I can see Type is Directory. Content is VZDump backup file, ISO image, Container Template.
What I did do, was installing Proxmox several times to learn about the system. I was under the impression the storage was formatted each time, but I don't know if that is correct.
Is there some way I can 'browse' the contents of Local or see a list of what is in there?
All virtual machines are (should be) stored in other storage and if I view the content of these drives this is confirmed.

I hope the above makes sense :) If you need additional information please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

/Simon

OK, I found that I could browse the Local folder by /var/lib/vz/
Apparently there is nothing special hiding in there besides my virtio ISO file.
My best guess is that the Proxmox installation is taking up the rest of the space on this partition then.

you can try 'du -h /' to see which folder take up how much space
another nice tool for this is 'ncdu'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!