What is a Good Raid 10 Controller to Use with Proxmox?

Danielc1234

Jan 10, 2010
Well I figured out that Proxmox doesn't care for the software versions of Raid 10 that my motherboard came with.

So now have to spend some more money! :(

Can someone recommend a pretty good Raid 10 controller that is not going to put me into poverty?

Thanks

Well I figured out that Proxmox doesn't care for the software versions of Raid 10 that my motherboard came with.

So now have to spend some more money! :(

Can someone recommend a pretty good Raid 10 controller that is not going to put me into poverty?

Thanks

I personally like this one (have several here in test lab): flash memory based cache backup protection
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/Controllers/Hardware/sas/performance/SAS-5805Z/

take also a look here.
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Adaptec_Storage_Manager

if you do not need a BBU (but believe me, you need one), you can go for this one:
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/Controllers/Hardware/sas/entry/SAS-2405/

no BBU, and only 4 drives.

Thanks Tom for the info! I ordered the 5805Z...ooooch! Hopefully you will be around if I get myself into some trouble trying to get it set up with Proxmox. Right now I am running Raid 10 with 4 - 300gb drives and running one sata dvd drive for installation. Will I have to connect the dvd to the new controller or can I utilize the on-board ide controller at the same time?
Also down the road when I want to add some more storage, do you know if this controller can add more drives using a separate raid? Thanks for your help!

you need to connect the DVD to the onboard sata. the raid controller is only for HDD.

the adaptec ASM is quite easy to configure and the allows flexible configurations, I highly recommend that you take a few hours going through the documentation and you should also test drive replacements and rebuilds, email notifications of failure, etc.

Tom Help!!! I got the 5805Z controller and set it up for Raid 10...Every thing seems fine...except for the #3 drive's light staying on...like it is accessing the drive.

But everything seemed to install okay and when I went to a machine and put in the ip to access the virtual terminal...it gave me the certificate notice, which I accepted the exception and after that I get a timeout error..like it cannot be reached.

I ping the IP address from another machine and I get replys fine. Any ideas what is going on with this???

Thanks Daniel

Update...I was finally able to log into the admin via the browser. Had to reboot the machine around 5 times. Should I be concerned with this? And the drive light is still on #3.

Update 2 - Now I cannot log into the admin via browser again.... :( Any ideas what is happening?

Last edited:
Tom..is it possible for the Proxmox to cause the Raid to fail? My adaptec card's buzzer is going off during the install of proxmox. I called adaptec support and they said it is acting as if something is causing a drive to fail or changing the bios configuration of the controller. I have successfully installed other operating systems on the raid 10 with no problems. It is only when I try to install proxmox, and I have the latest ISO that I just downloaded. I would really love to get this working...any suggestions?

a operation system cannot break the hardware, never had such issues. which controller do you use?

you got a 5805Z? I just installed 2 of them 4 weeks ago on a Proxmox VE Cluster (1.5 with 2.6.18 and 2.6.24), no issues. but as always, I updated the firmware to the latest version.

I'm not having much luck over here. I was able to install other OS...like Centos, etc with not problems. It just seems halfway through the setup of Proxmox, the 5805Z card sets off the alarm.
I have the Bios V5.2-0 Build 17380. Does Proxmox try to create a layer between the Adaptec that may be causing the alarm to go off?

UPDATE: Looks like my 3rd HD in the Raid 10 is setting off the S.M.A.R.T...saying the drive is headed for failure, so maybe that is what is causing it. Going to swap out some drives.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!