Weird bug in lxc containers

joebaires

May 20, 2015
Hello,

Here using latest PVE 4.4-13.

Today I had to do maintenance on my main node, so I moved my containers to another node: shutdown / migrate / start (I really miss years ago when we could do live migration using openvz... can't believe we are still stuck without it in lxc).

All went ok until I found a container that for some reason had the image stored in the local disk instead of the nas mounted via nfs. So, I tried first to move it to the NAS, but, to my surprise, there is no "Move Disk" option for LXC cointainers as in full VMs.

So I tried to backup and restore, but when restoring, proxmox throw an ugly error:

Formatting '/mnt/pve/nas/images/112/vm-112-disk-1.raw', fmt=raw size=21474836480
mke2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Creating filesystem with 5242880 4k blocks and 1310720 inodes
[...]
done

disk image '/mnt/pve/nas/images/112/vm-112-disk-1.raw' does not exists
TASK ERROR: volume 'nas-datos:112/vm-112-disk-1.raw' does not exist

After that, the container disappeared from the system!!

Luckily I had a backup copy of the .conf file in /etc/pve/nodes/.... so I could manually re create it.

So several things came to my attention:

- Restoring backup seems to lead to destruction of the container when there is no existing disk image (really ugly bug)

- Missing "Move Disk" option for containers (supposedly when moved from openvz to lxc one of the reasons was that it had available all the same features regarding storage, as discussed in pve docs/chapter-pct.html#pct_container_storage).

- I really don't understand why we still can't get live lxc migration two years after the initial release of proxmox 4.0. I know about CRIU project but it seems to be working for other LXC projects like docker.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!