Web interface not accessible with VLAN tag?

sofakng

Dec 26, 2015
How do I configure Proxmox (Debian?) to allow a VLAN tag on my management interface?

For example, I have a dedicated port on my network switch for Proxmox web management. However, this port is tagged with a VLAN tag. However, when I enable tagging on the port it stops responding.

How can I fix this?

I'd like to have the following setup:

eth0 = management interface, DHCP assigned, VLAN 10, ProxMox web interface
eth1 + eth2 = bridged, used for VMs, needs to support VLAN tagging (VLAN 10, 30, etc)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Can anybody verify my interfaces? It's working, but it seems like if I make a change on my physical switch (48-port EdgeSwitch Lite) that I need to reboot ProxMox which doesn't seem correct. I'm also using the built-in Linux bond/bridge instead of OVS but OVS does look interesting and perhaps a bit easier to understand...

Here is my goal:

bond0 - eth3 and eth0 using LACP. This is only used for ProxMox web interface (and lightweight FTP server I installed on ProxMox/Debian). This communicates on VLAN 10.

bond1 - eth1 and eth2 using LACP. This is used for VMs and uses several different VLAN IDs specified in the LXC configuration files.

Thanks for any information!

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
slaves eth1 eth2
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth3
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports bond1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address  192.168.10.50
netmask  255.255.255.0
gateway  192.168.10.1
bridge_ports bond0.10
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!