[SOLVED] web gui keeps jumping to the selected host in server view

grin

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hungary
grin.hu
When the ct/vm list is long and scrolling, and something is selected, then the list jumps there after a few seconds no matter where I have scrolled it. Unspeakably annoying. :)

[By the way the firefox mouse scrolling of the menu is still not working. It's been, what, half a year now?]

This is new for the lastest update.

# pveversion --verbose
proxmox-ve: 5.0-21 (running kernel: 4.10.15-1-pve)
pve-manager: 5.0-32 (running version: 5.0-32/2560e073)
pve-kernel-4.4.62-1-pve: 4.4.62-88
pve-kernel-4.4.19-1-pve: 4.4.19-66
pve-kernel-4.10.17-2-pve: 4.10.17-20
pve-kernel-4.10.15-1-pve: 4.10.15-15
pve-kernel-4.4.67-1-pve: 4.4.67-92
pve-kernel-4.10.17-3-pve: 4.10.17-21
pve-kernel-4.4.59-1-pve: 4.4.59-87
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-6
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve3
corosync: 2.4.2-pve3
libqb0: 1.0.1-1
pve-cluster: 5.0-12
qemu-server: 5.0-15
pve-firmware: 2.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-18
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-11
libpve-access-control: 5.0-6
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-15
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
vncterm: 1.5-2
pve-docs: 5.0-9
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.9.0-5
pve-container: 2.0-15
pve-firewall: 3.0-3
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
lxc-pve: 2.0.8-3
lxcfs: 2.0.7-pve4
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
novnc-pve: 0.6-4
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.6.5.11-pve17~bpo90

[By the way the firefox mouse scrolling of the menu is still not working. It's been, what, half a year now?]
i do not know what you mean by menu?

Sometime it's impossible to scroll in lists, only reloading with cache clear fix it (CTRL + F5)
Another problem: With a scroll bar in list, you mark a item (e.g. vm) this marked item will be centered everytime. Only reload and cache clear fixes it.

Using pve 5 with Google Chrome, problem exists since latest 4.x. But not tested on Firefox or IE/Edge.

i do not know what you mean by menu?
It is a known bug for at least half a year now (possibly more), some external javascript you use to display any menu on the second from the left (like server view>>host) cannot mouse-scroll under firefox but works under chrome. You said you have reported it and wait for the fix, but it's been loooong time ago. I'm patient, but it have its limits... since this is extremely annoying (have to click on the up and down "arrow" every fucking time the menu is longer than the frame, which is basically always).

It is a known bug for at least half a year now (possibly more), some external javascript you use to display any menu on the second from the left (like server view>>host) cannot mouse-scroll under firefox but works under chrome. You said you have reported it and wait for the fix, but it's been loooong time ago. I'm patient, but it have its limits... since this is extremely annoying (have to click on the up and down "arrow" every fucking time the menu is longer than the frame, which is basically always).
is there a bugreport? because if there is one, i cannot find it (or maybe it is a forum thread?)

if there is no bug, please create one on the bugtracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/) and i will see if i can do something in our code to improve this, but no promises

as for firefox scroll issues with extjs, there are some known bugs, but sencha does not release every version under the gpl ( which is the only version we can use ),
so for this there is not much we can do besides waiting for sencha to release a new extjs version

is there a bugreport? because if there is one, i cannot find it (or maybe it is a forum thread?)

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/annoying-no-scroll-menu-in-the-new-gui.29808/

if there is no bug, please create one on the bugtracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/) and i will see if i can do something in our code to improve this, but no promises

as for firefox scroll issues with extjs, there are some known bugs, but sencha does not release every version under the gpl ( which is the only version we can use ),
so for this there is not much we can do besides waiting for sencha to release a new extjs version

This is the same you have said on Oct 19, 2016. Okay, I'll open a bug.

You see, from the end-user point of view there is no "sencha", only Proxmox. We are not in any relation with "sencha", and we have neither the base nor the means to make him or her or it to do whatever has to be done. From a different aspect you are telling me that you are using an external library which is known not to work, where the author neither accepts nor releases fixes and you are telling me that you can't help it, and you're so sorry.

From my point of view: please do fix this bug. It is your GUI, not someone else's. If you have picked a wrong library, drop or replace it. I am not in the positin to force you do drop the library, but you should realise that nothing has been done about it for a year now, and you don't seem to have the means to do anything about it, and maybe dropping it and picking a better one would help us all much better, especially if you consider the future similar problems, where you would keep repeating "yeah it's broken, we cannot fix it, sorry". For one of the most often used GUI element.

This is the same you have said on Oct 19, 2016. Okay, I'll open a bug.
thanks, this makes it much easier to track it

You see, from the end-user point of view there is no "sencha", only Proxmox. We are not in any relation with "sencha", and we have neither the base nor the means to make him or her or it to do whatever has to be done. From a different aspect you are telling me that you are using an external library which is known not to work, where the author neither accepts nor releases fixes and you are telling me that you can't help it, and you're so sorry.
well, any piece of software has bugs, and proxmox ve is an open source product than combines multiple open source technologies (which all can and do have bugs) like lxc, qemu, kvm ,extjs, etc.
most of these projects are what i want to call 'true' open source projects, which means the development is open, there is a bug tracker, the tools to build are open source,etc.

with extjs and sencha it is a bit different. sencha makes only some releases gpl and they only drop a single archive with no tooling around it (e.g. their senchacmd to build custom css themes is not open source),
so this makes it much harder to patch it

From my point of view: please do fix this bug. It is your GUI, not someone else's. If you have picked a wrong library, drop or replace it. I am not in the positin to force you do drop the library, but you should realise that nothing has been done about it for a year now, and you don't seem to have the means to do anything about it, and maybe dropping it and picking a better one would help us all much better, especially if you consider the future similar problems, where you would keep repeating "yeah it's broken, we cannot fix it, sorry". For one of the most often used GUI element.
you are right, this is a bug and should be fixed, and the reason nothing was done for it yet, was twofold:
first there was no bug entry, so it was not on the radar of any of us
and second, last year it seemed that sencha would release 6.0.2 as gpl (which would have been a fairly easy upgrade),
but they released only 6.2 instead which breaks a lot of thing, and the gain was almost zero to upgrade to this version

as for replacing or dropping the library:
this is much easier said than done

our gui is entirely written in extjs, and replacing it would mean to rewrite the whole gui completely

i would also prefer a framework which is 'true open source' but as of now the only alternatives either lack the features (e.g. grids/trees or something else), are not open source
or is some crazy 'hip' javascript framework like react/angular/vue etc. (i am not a fan of the whole node/npm ecosystem and to use it would make lots of problems with our buildsystems)

Don't get me wrong: I am aware how an open source project works, and I am also aware that it's a really uncomfortable position to lead a project and realise that one decision in the past have turned out to be wrong, and results lots of really unwanted tasks waiting to be done. I could, at least theoretically, debug the javascript in question and, also in theory, fix the bug and also, in theory, let it merged by you and ignore the upstream problems. We do it often in Debian. It is the wrong way though, since you carry the bag of corrective patches forever and you cannot quite upgrade anymore.

Also I was not aware that this particular JS library is the basis of the GUI and not just an element. This sucks, and if you're right that there isn't any FOSS alternative (which I cannot comment since I passionately avoid anything javascripty as much as I can, which is not always nowadays) it's quite bad. I am pretty confident, though, that there possibly exist some, and I advise you to reach out to the community,whether they caan come up with any alternatives, and try to plan for the foreseeable future. Using a lib which is getting less and less FOSS and more and more closed isn't quite getting anywhere.

Also I was not aware that this particular JS library is the basis of the GUI and not just an element. This sucks, and if you're right that there isn't any FOSS alternative (which I cannot comment since I passionately avoid anything javascripty as much as I can, which is not always nowadays) it's quite bad. I am pretty confident, though, that there possibly exist some, and I advise you to reach out to the community,whether they caan come up with any alternatives, and try to plan for the foreseeable future. Using a lib which is getting less and less FOSS and more and more closed isn't quite getting anywhere.
i fully agree with you here, and if necessary, we will change the framework, but for the foreseeable future it works for us

fyi: i sent two patches for both of your problems to the list (one is already commited)

Reactions: GadgetPig and grin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!