Web GUI died

Enigma

Sep 28, 2017
I used to be able to access my proxmox server @ https://[IP]:8006/ but now the page won't load.

This seems like an easy fix - nothing has changed in the environment and it has been working for weeks (with random stops).

I've already tried rebooting the whole server - no dice.

At least one of the VM's that I know the IP to is accessible so the network cable is solid.

Any chance there's a firewall in the way?

Try this:
Code:
netstat -telnp | grep 8006

It should show something like:
Code:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8006            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      33         27492      31924/pveproxy

If it doesn't try:
Code:
systemctl restart pveproxy
systemctl status pveproxy

Any chance there's a firewall in the way?

Try this:
Code:
netstat -telnp | grep 8006

It should show something like:
Code:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8006            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      33         27492      31924/pveproxy

If it doesn't try:
Code:
systemctl restart pveproxy

netstat command doesn't exist and `apt-get install netstat` finds nothing

`service pveproxy status` shows that it is running - restarting it didn't fix anything

You can get netstat with:
Code:
apt-get install net-tools

Or 'ss' will get the required information too:
Code:
ss -antlp | grep 8006

Reactions: a26b52
Ok thanks - gathering.

Possibly related - apt-get install/update tends to fail out and have a hard time connecting.

VM's in this system have no such network issue.

It shows:

Code:
tcp    0    0 0.0.0.0:8006    0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN    33    3965174    23604/pveproxy

Ok, that's the expected results (Proxmox is running and has bound the port). Next confirm that systemd isn't dumping anything unusual for pveproxy:

Code:

I'm suspicious that your browser may be in a bad state. Please try clearing the cache entirely for whatever browser you're using, then restart the browser and attempt to connect again. If it's still broken and you have a smart phone, please try browsing to the web interface on the phone. If that's not an option, try a different browser (eg. Chrome, Firefox, etc.).

Nothing stands out - looks like it starts up and sets up 3 workers (pveproxy & 3 pveproxy worker's)

I've tried several browsers (Firefox, Chrome & Edge)

I was able to log in with my phone however - interesting. I'll try rebooting my main system again.

That still doesn't explain why the PVE server itself has regular connection issues when attempting to install/update packages.

Nothing stands out - looks like it starts up and sets up 3 workers (pveproxy & 3 pveproxy worker's)

I've tried several browsers (Firefox, Chrome & Edge)

I was able to log in with my phone however - interesting. I'll try rebooting my main system again.
That sounds like an interaction with another app on your laptop/workstation -- like a Virus Scanner, Internet Protection Suite, Windows Firewall (accidentally blocked outbound at some point?), etc. Try disabling as much as you are comfortable doing and/or try from a different workstation if you have the option.

It's working right now again.

I changed the Proxmox server's nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to 8.8.8.8

So far as I know there's nothing conflicting but will see if it craps out again at some point.

Last edited:
Now it spontaneously stopped working.

Had the page up all day since my last post and just now - it lost connection - I touched nothing.

Last edited:
This is still a pretty major issue for me. There's no consistency with regards to the web interface actually being available and I have no idea what gets it working again when it's inaccessible.

Currently it's completely inaccessible.

The disconnect seems to possibly be triggered by loading Summary pages for VM's or sitting on a summary page.

In addition, running a constant ping loop from the PVE server to the IP of the system connecting to the web interface seems to keep the connection alive &| bring it back. Very odd...

Also, when the web GUI dies, the pings to the connecting system freeze for a little while.

Some things to check / try:
* Use arp-scan to make sure you don't have any duplicated MAC addresses on your network
* Install / use a different NIC
* Confirm there is no firewall running on your workstation or anywhere between you and the Proxmox server
* If you're using an ethernet cable on either end, change the switch port(s) and cable(s).

I'm sure I'm barely scratching the surface of arp-scan but I'm seeing no conflicts. Though I only got 25 responses out of 500 so uh.. lot of room for error lol

The Web GUI is now mostly accessible but I'm just afraid to stop the ping loop to find out if it's really fixed or not. Definitely not a cable or port issue. Definitely not a NIC issue.

Shouldn't be any firewall issue. Firewall would be an either working or non working state - no swaying back and forth (unless the firewall is really bad I guess?)

MAC or IP conflict is the best guess but I'm not too sure how to narrow down the 475 or so unknown hosts.

So there seems to be a pretty severe issue with outgoing traffic from the PVE server. I can ping to it reliably.

If I ping from my client (just another separate system) to the PVE server, all pings go through.

However, pinging from my PVE server to the client, all pings are failing. And the web page again is failing to load.

All PVE guest VM's/Containers continue to work normally so what the heck is so screwed up with the PVE network config? How to I check/verify it?

The eno1 interface has no IP, the vmbr0 interface has a valid IP.

Is that correct?

I can't ssh into the system. SSH server says it's listening on 0.0.0.0.

Any ideas?

Pinging the client IP straight up hangs the console. Doesn't say it's failing or succeeding. Nothing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!