[SOLVED] Wake on LAN not working

proxfox

Mar 31, 2020
Hi, :)

my plan is to wake up my Server remotly with a different device. Immediately WOL came to my mind. The BIOS is set up correctly and the WOL Feature is enabled. Also i checked the interface with ethtool <interface_name> and the wake on is set on g as you can see below:

Code:
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g

I heard in some forums that proxmox is turning off the network interfaces after the shutdown. Could be my Hardware also be the Problem? I have energy saving components like a 60 watt external power adapter, and a small form factor motherboard.

I hope you may have a solution for me, i do not know how to continue. :(

Sorry - not sure if i misread it - but the post does not indicate if you tried to send a WOL-magic packet to the your PVE-node?
if not - you need to have a device which is running on the same network-segment (same ethernet network) and able to send a WOL packet to the node's MAC-address.
(some routers can do so, pfsense has the functionality, on a linux-box you can install `wakeonlan`)
if you've tried it and it did not work - I'd check the BIOS settings again - PVE does not interfere with WOL (for clusters it has the ability to wake other cluster-members, and we do use it on our workstations, which run with PVE)

I hope this helps!

Sorry - not sure if i misread it - but the post does not indicate if you tried to send a WOL-magic packet to the your PVE-node?
if not - you need to have a device which is running on the same network-segment (same ethernet network) and able to send a WOL packet to the node's MAC-address.
(some routers can do so, pfsense has the functionality, on a linux-box you can install `wakeonlan`)
if you've tried it and it did not work - I'd check the BIOS settings again - PVE does not interfere with WOL (for clusters it has the ability to wake other cluster-members, and we do use it on our workstations, which run with PVE)

I hope this helps!
I've already tried to send a WOL-magic packet to the PVE-node. To be sure its clear what i want to do. My plan is to wake up the whole System not a node in a cluster or a single machine. i've searched the BIOS for more Options but i can't find anymore than the WOL Option.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!