Vzdump on NFS slows live VM down

robhost

Jun 15, 2014
Dresden
www.robhost.de
We observed a strange issue, when using scheduled backups with vzdump (from local ssd storage, snapshot, lzo).

It seems when the NFS storage is under heavy network load or the uplink to the NFS node is "full", vzdump blocks the running VM to death.

We can see lots of "[sda] abort" messages inside the VM and the IO utilization and wait goes to 100%, always when the storage-networks seems to be saturated - loadavg inside the VM then goes very high and it becomes unusable.

Is this a bug, or normal behavior with vzdump on NFS? We tried "bwlimit" in vzdump.conf, but the problem still occours when the NFS uplink is full.

The same backups on local storage are running without problemlos, so this definitly a network/nfs issue here, and this should not bring the VM down which is backed up.

Well, Proxmox is just Linux and the VM to be backed up a number of processes within the server, so I can very well imagine that a backup of the client (which in any case is a heavy operation) can bring the client down or at least make it hang.

I'm not a friend of hot VM backups, by the way. With hot backups, too much can go wrong. I prefer cold backups after substantial changes (like a major OS upgrade or the installation/upgrade of subsystems, e.g. the database software). For regular (daily, hourly) backups I'm using rsnaphot which has the additional benefit of providing versioning.

Well, Proxmox is just Linux and the VM to be backed up a number of processes within the server, so I can very well imagine that a backup of the client (which in any case is a heavy operation) can bring the client down or at least make it hang.

I'm not a friend of hot VM backups, by the way. With hot backups, too much can go wrong. I prefer cold backups after substantial changes (like a major OS upgrade or the installation/upgrade of subsystems, e.g. the database software). For regular (daily, hourly) backups I'm using rsnaphot which has the additional benefit of providing versioning.
For daily backups we also use rsync and Bareos, but to have a VMA image by the hand is good to know in case of hardware emergency :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!