VZDump exlude-path question

binx

May 7, 2009
First of all. It looks like this --exclude-path '/var/log/.+' excludes files in /var/log but doesn't exclude dirs.

Second. When doing a vzdump, it looks like the excludes arent really excluded until the tar is run (i.e rsync still transfers ALL data from a vps regardless of --exclude-path settings). Isn't this a bit unnecessary and also adds to the time it takes to do a backup?

To me, the reasonable thing would be to exclude these dirs/files completely from the transfer...

Thanks for a great app!

/John

Damn, I guess this should've been posted in another Forum such as "Proxmox VE: Installation and Configuration". Sorry about that.

Hello Dietmar,

is the bug fixed? I have played today with this option, but rsync didnt exclude the path as example "--exclude-path "/home/.+".

Code:
proxmox01:~# vzdump --compress --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump/ --exclude-path "/home/.+" 110
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump --compress --dumpdir /var/lib/vz/dump/ --exclude-path /home/.+ 110
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 110 (openvz)
INFO: CTID 110 exist mounted running
INFO: status = CTID 110 exist mounted running
INFO: mode failure - unable to dump into snapshot (use option --dumpdir)
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: bandwidth limit: 10240 KB/s
INFO: starting first sync /var/lib/vz/private/110/ to /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-openvz-110-2009_10_25-13_56_42.tmp
Code:
proxmox01:/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-openvz-110-2009_10_25-13_56_42.tmp/home# du -sh samba/
3.4G    samba/
Code:
proxmox01:/var/lib/vz/dump# ls -lsa vzdump-openvz-110-2009_10_25-13_56_42.tmp/home/
total 16
4 drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Jul 27 21:08 .
4 drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 Oct 24 20:46 ..
4 drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Sep 25 14:22 samba
proxmox01:/var/lib/vz/dump#
Code:
proxmox01:/var/lib/vz/dump# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.4-9 (pve-manager/1.4/4390)
qemu-server: 1.1-8
pve-kernel: 2.6.24-16
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.11.0-2
pve-firmware: 1
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve3
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
when the archive will be tar´ed, the directory will be removed. But isn´t there a way, that rsync will skipped the transfer from the exclude-path directly?

How can i setup the exclude-path for each openvz container in the automated backup? For example, i will exclude the directory /home for VID 1 but not for VID 2. For VID 2 i will exclude the /opt but not for VID 1. How can i setup this in the scheduled backup in proxmox?

Regards, Valle

Last edited:
when the archive will be tar´ed, the directory will be removed. But isn´t there a way, that rsync will skipped the transfer from the exclude-path directly?

no, currently not.

How can i setup the exclude-path for each openvz container in the automated backup? For example, i will exclude the directory /home for VID 1 but not for VID 2. For VID 2 i will exclude the /opt but not for VID 1. How can i setup this in the scheduled backup in proxmox?

Write your own crontab, or manually edit /etc/cron.d/vzdump.

Re: VZDump exlude-path question [WORKAROUND]

There is a workaround proposed on OpenVZ forum:
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=36924&

User "tatawaki" suggest to modify the vzdump perl script (/usr/sbin/vzdump) :
Code:
[URL="http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=usrinfo&id=3186&"]tatawaki[/URL]
[B]Messages:[/B] 3
[B]Registered:[/B] December 2008  Junior Member
[B]From:[/B] *sbm.shawcable.net
ok, here's the work around:

my $rsyncopts = "--stats --numeric-ids --bwlimit=${opt_bwlimit}";

# changes
$rsyncopts = $rsyncopts." --exclude-from=/home/backups/exclude_vzdump.txt";

the txt file contains <VEID>/home/:

1094/home/
I've tested it successfully, you juste have to modify your script at line 694 and to create the file with excluded paths.
And you can still use the --all feature to backup all your VE's at the same time with a line by folder for each VE's in the same file:

Code:
500/home/
501/home/
502/home/
503/home/
510/home/

Is there any way this fix can be applied to the Proxmox VZDump (which seems to be re-written in perl). I'm thinking it would be useful to simply have a file on the drive which (if it exists) will be used as the exclude-from option.

Say... /etc/vz/exclude.txt which the perl VZDump checks and if it exists, would use it as the argument when doing the dump

Say... /etc/vz/exclude.txt which the perl VZDump checks and if it exists, would use it as the argument when doing the dump

We already have a config file called /etc/vzdump.conf - I guess we could add the exclude option there. But I currently have no time to work on that. But feel free to send a patch.

I have a bare metal install of pve (pveversion ->
pve-manager/1.5/4627) but i can't find the config file called /etc/vzdump.conf
Why? Is it supposed to be installed separately? Do i have to create it from scratch?

I have a bare metal install of pve (pveversion ->
pve-manager/1.5/4627) but i can't find the config file called /etc/vzdump.conf
Why? Is it supposed to be installed separately? Do i have to create it from scratch?

yes, just create it:

Code:
nano /etc/vzdump.conf

We already have a config file called /etc/vzdump.conf - I guess we could add the exclude option there. But I currently have no time to work on that. But feel free to send a patch.
Here is my not elegant but working patch (not so easy for non-perl programmer) :
on file /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/OpenVZ.pm
After the line
Code:
[FONT=Helvetica]my $rsyncopts = "--stats -x --numeric-ids";
[/FONT]
add
Code:
if ($opts->{'exclude-path'}){
Code:
[FONT=Helvetica]        foreach my $path (@{$opts->{'exclude-path'}}){[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]            $rsyncopts .= " --exclude=$path";[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]        }[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]    }[/FONT]

This works. Files are excluded at rsync stage, not later on at tar stage. But I then had a problem where tar interprets exclude pattern as regex, and exclude some more (for instance tar with regex and rsync act differently on '*/home/*/*', tar with regex excludes much more), so in the end I also edited
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm ; new code is
Code:
    if ($opts->{'exclude-path'}) {
        foreach my $path (@{$opts->{'exclude-path'}}) {
            # $self->find_add_exclude ('-regex', $path);                                                                                                               
        }
    }

The "$self->find_add_exclude" is commented out.

I really appreciate proxmox and OpenVz, but I'm surprised you wouldn't find the time to patch a bug that can eat all the storage space of an hypervisor.

regards

I really appreciate proxmox and OpenVz, but I'm surprised you wouldn't find the time to patch a bug that can eat all the storage space of an hypervisor.

I do not really consider that a bug, because it only affects a few users/VMs, and storage is only used temporarily. Anyways, if someone send a correct patch I will include that. Your patch looks wrong, because it does not work with regex patterns.

Does someone as a tip to exclude a path except a directory (ex: exclude /var/log except /var/log/samba ) ?
Thanks for your help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!