vzdump --exclude-path for VM not supported, any alternatives?

maddingamer

Sep 17, 2021
I wanted to backup some VMs but exclude the /var/www/ directory, as it is saved via other method and quite large.
With VZDump the parameter --exclude-path is only supported within containers, but are there any alternatives or similar ways for VMs?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think there are any parameters that can accomplish this as the host can't simply access directories of a VM like it can a container. One workaround that I can think of is to add another virtual drive to VM and mount /var/www/ on this. Then you can exclude the drive from the backup. From the GUI, this is done by unchecking the "Backup" option in the Add/Edit hard disk menu.

Reactions: maddingamer
I don't think there are any parameters that can accomplish this as the host can't simply access directories of a VM like it can a container. One workaround that I can think of is to add another virtual drive to VM and mount /var/www/ on this. Then you can exclude the drive from the backup. From the GUI, this is done by unchecking the "Backup" option in the Add/Edit hard disk menu.
Ah yes that makes absolutely sense.
I'll see if switching to lxc would be possible, or backing up only the necessary configs via other method.
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!