[SOLVED] VZ Containers Nat Problem to Network Interface in Different IP-range

MisterIX

Oct 13, 2014
Hello girls and guys!

I recently updatet to Proxmox 3.6-4 and experience a problem that I had believed solved allready in Proxmox 3.2 . I'm dealing with a VZ Container that holds two network interfaces in bridged mode. Each interface refers to a different IP range. E.g. interface veth101.0 is eth0, mac auto, vmbr0 (192.168.20.0) whereas veth101.1 is eth1, mac auto, vmbr1 (192.168.25.0).

The problem occurs when a machine of vmbr0 tries to connect to eth1 or the other way round. The connection becomes instabile. One can test that e.g. with an SSH sesssion connecting to the interface in the other IP-address range. Max. stability lasts around one minute, then the session freezes and must be restarted.

I had a similar problem when using venet adresses in Proxmox 3.2 but changing to bridged network adapters then solved the problem. Now in the new version the problem is reoccuring on the other inteface type. Strangely only with VZs and not on KVMs. So this is what I tried already:

Activating IP-Forwarding:

echo 'net.ipv4.ip_forward=1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

echo 'net.ipv6.conf.all.proxy_ndp=1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

Changed following entry in /etc/vz/vz.conf

# Controls which interfaces to send ARP requests and modify APR tables on.
NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all

Source for this idea under http://wiki.euserv.de/index.php/Manual_Einrichtung_Proxmox/en#Creating_an_OpenVZ_container

Passage:
Configuration OpenVZ routed

Hmm, formating this text semms to exceed my skills. Sorry for that. Anyway, I even restarted the server and could unfortunatly not observe a change in this behaviour. SSH sessions still last only about a minute from one network segment to the other.

In case you ran into similar trouble your help is greatly appreceated. It would also help me a lot to know which services I can restart while trying to solve this issue instead of restarting the whole server.

Thank you very much and kind regards, MisterIX.

Last edited:
I recently updatet to Proxmox 3.6-4 and experience a problem that I had believed solved allready in Proxmox 3.2 . I'm dealing with a VZ Container that holds two network interfaces in bridged mode. Each interface refers to a different IP range. E.g. interface veth101.0 is eth0, mac auto, vmbr0 (192.168.20.0) whereas veth101.1 is eth1, mac auto, vmbr1 (192.168.25.0).

The problem occurs when a machine of vmbr0 tries to connect to eth1 or the other way round. The connection becomes instabile. One can test that e.g. with an SSH sesssion connecting to the interface in the other IP-address range. Max. stability lasts around one minute, then the session freezes and must be restarted.

I had a similar problem when using venet adresses in Proxmox 3.2 but changing to bridged network adapters then solved the problem. Now in the new version the problem is reoccuring on the other inteface type. Strangely only with VZs and not on KVMs. So this is what I tried already:

It's true that in case of venet0 there are troubles when using different LAN segments and it's recommended tu use bridge and veth in such cases.

But there is no diffenrence between 3.2 and higher versions - check your IP configuration carefully or post it here.

I can't reproduce the mistake today. Strange but, anyway thank you very much for your reply. If I experience this problem again, I will post it here.

Have a nice day!

Ps. Can you tell me how I can mark this thread as solved?

I can't reproduce the mistake today. Strange but, anyway thank you very much for your reply. If I experience this problem again, I will post it here.

Have a nice day!

Ps. Can you tell me how I can mark this thread as solved?

go to the first post of this thread, go to "advanced edit" and there you can select the prefix solved.

only the initial thread poster can do this (and of course, the moderators).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!