VT-d and SR-IOV

Virt

Oct 3, 2014
I have been searching for a few days now trying to figure out what I'm missing. I have IOMMU enabled in BIOS and in proxmox and everything shows up as it should. I tried configuring SR-IOV and I get the same message several others have:
Code:
Not enoiugh MMIO resources for SR-IOV
The chip is the Intel 82576 which is on a Supermicro X8DTG-DF board. I confirmed that both the board and chip support SR-IOV and it is enabled in BIOS. After hours of trying to get it working I finally decided to install a separate card.
I installed the Intel 82571EB and tried passing it through to the VM using
Code:
qm set 102 01:00
(among other configurations) but consistently receive the error:
Code:
Failed to assign device "hostpci0.0": Operation not permitted

Being able to assign a dedicated nic is critical since this is to be used for pfsense.

I followed those directions. Is kernel 3.10 the default for 3.3? I made sure to do a dist-upgrade.

I followed those directions. Is kernel 3.10 the default for 3.3? I made sure to do a dist-upgrade.

Not yet, because they are no openvz support currently.

you need to install it

#apt-get install pve-kernel-3.10.0-4-pve

(this not remove kernel 2.6.32, so you can switch at boot in grub if you want)

I installed kernel 3.10 and cleared up some other issues. Now when I go to start the VM I get an error saying
Code:
No IOMMU Found. Unable to assign device "hostpci0"

Do I need to re-enable IOMMU somehow?

I think I might have just gotten it!
I removed the input from the qm set command and configured it manually.
In my case the card to passthrough was PCI 01:00.0 and 01:00.1 (dual port)
So I added
Code:
hostpci0: 01:00.0,driver=vfio
hostpci1: 01:00.1,driver=vfio

Note: this was after manually unbinding the devices and attaching them to the stub.

Still don't know about the SR-IOV though.

And Thank you massively for the info, I never would have figured the kernel thing out.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!