VNC Server Help Greatly Apretiated

P

PunjabiMunda90

I would like to disable the VNC SSL encription (or have some other way to VNC into a running guest on demand) using a JAVA based web client. I cant seem to find any java VNC applets that support encription. I also dont want to have the user authenticate (with password/username).

both are important features and I do not understand why someone does not need security. why do want to disable these mandatory security measures?

Tom - I agree TLS should stay on.

But there are two issues

1 - there are not any [that I've found] Debian vnc packages with tls . Many of us use linux desktops and not Windows.

2- there is a problem with console in pve .

we all want to test and use Proxmox 2.0 . certainly the devs want as many as possible to use and help find and fix bugs?

I can't use kvm without tigervnc. In the future I'm sure there will be updates to remmina with tls enabled.

Tom - I agree TLS should stay on.

But there are two issues

1 - there are not any [that I've found] Debian vnc packages with tls . Many of us use linux desktops and not Windows.

you do not need a vnc package, we have an integrated web vnc console. the goal is to use the vnc console and not external vnc viewers. why can´t you use the internal console viewer?

2- there is a problem with console in pve .

we all want to test and use Proxmox 2.0 . certainly the devs want as many as possible to use and help find and fix bugs?

I can't use kvm without tigervnc. In the future I'm sure there will be updates to remmina with tls enabled.

if you have issues, pls file a bug and we try to fix it as soon as possible.

The reason I wanted to disable the TLS was so I can use an external VNC Client.
I don't mind using the web Client that is already built in. But that only seems to work if we go through the Admin page.

I was using netcat to create a vnc connection:
nc -l -p 5900 -c "qm vncproxy VMID [PASSWORD]"

But could not connect to it because I could not find any java based vnc client that supported the x509 security used by default.
Though that worked fine with tigervnc... I really would like a web based solution.

Its not strictly necessary for me to disable TLS. In-fact I would prefer that it be on, but how can i get the functionality i am looking for?
I just want to visit a URL and have a VNC to one of my VMs be displayed in the web browser.

But could not connect to it because I could not find any java based vnc client that supported the x509 security used by default.
Though that worked fine with tigervnc... I really would like a web based solution.

The tigervnc sources includes a java applet (we use that too).

The tigervnc sources includes a java applet (we use that too).

Dietmar, what we need is a quick writeup on how to get the tigervnc gui going. PLEASE!

I'll copy and paste the write up to the wiki page then Punjabi might refine the instructions.

Last edited:
Thank You, that worked. I just got a jar of tigervnc from one of the rpms and it was relatively simple to get it working.

But I still had to type in 'root@pam' as username and my regular password to get access. How can I disable that, while still having the encryption? Kinda like a private/public key auth?

It doesn't matter where you put it... you can just use the jar file as an applet or as a standalone.

Then run the command:
nc -l -p <PORT> -c "qm vncproxy <VMID>"

on the proxmox terminal.

Finally use the jar to connect to the proxmox machine to your specified port.

PS. I was also able to completely disable the TLS using the args parameter and passing in -vnc :<d>
5900 + d being the port you want to setup vnc on. It works great... but seems to disable the "console" button in the proxmox interface.
Any Ideas on how to fix this? I'm guessing using vnc like this breaks whatever "qm vncproxy" is doing but not sure...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!