vmbr configure for internet connection

redwer

Jun 24, 2021
Hi

I have a server which has a public ip address. I would like to have a few vm's on a different subnet which connect to the internet through the proxmox server. I have the vmbr0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.0.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway publicservergateway
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

When I do this I cannot connect to the server with ssh

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address publicipaddress
netmask publicmask
gateway publicservergateway
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

With the new configuration I can ssh into proxmox , but I am not sure what ip address and gateway to set the ubuntu serv to. DOes anyone have any suggestion?

Did you read the proxmox documentation aout networking? There are some examples. For example on how to use NAT so VMs can use a private subnet while still being accessible by the single public IP.

What should the /etc/network/interfaces on the vm look when connect to the vmbr0 on proxmox ? Is vmbr0 DHCP or would you have to manually set the ip on the vm ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!