VM won't shutdown

JulioQc

Feb 16, 2016
Hello,

My backups of Windows 2012 and 2008 fail because the VM fails to shutdown. The backup seems to start anyhow until the disk is full (had this bug when using live backup so was thinking stop would solve it).

This used to work not so long ago...

The "qm shutdown" command and shutdown from the GUI are working. Any idea how to solve this problem? I'll provide any info required :)

I suggest you enable qemu guest agent (see VM options) and install the agent inside your windows.

Hello,

Yes, those two are active but even then, running a stop backup returns this (even if I manually shutdown in the guest):

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 102 --mode stop --node pve --storage backups --compress gzip --remove 0
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: update VM 102: -lock backup
INFO: backup mode: stop
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: exclude disk 'virtio1' (backup=no)
INFO: exclude disk 'virtio2' (backup=no)
INFO: stopping vm
INFO: VM quit/powerdown failed
ERROR: Backup of VM 102 failed - command 'qm shutdown 102 --skiplock --keepActive --timeout 600' failed: exit code 255
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

Is there a way to test the QEMU agent is running and working in the guest system? I'm just thinking this could be the cause...

Is there a way to test the QEMU agent is running and working in the guest system? I'm just thinking this could be the cause...

which guest OS do you run?

Hehe sry!

Win2012 R2 and another with same issue is Win2008 R2 (I did follow best practice guides)

check the windows services (search for" QEMU Guest Agent")

Ok, it's installed but not running.

Attempting to run it returns:

Windows could not start the QEMU Guest Agent service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Ok, even after reinstall & reboot the service refuses to start with same error...
The QEMU VSS service works however.

If it helps, launching by terminal returns this:

C:\Program Files\qemu-ga>qemu-ga.exe -d
1455644587.974923: critical: error opening path
1455644587.974923: critical: error opening channel
1455644587.974923: critical: failed to create guest agent channel
1455644587.974923: critical: failed to initialize guest agent channel

Ok, got it!

- Reinstall QEMU agent in guest,
- Install serial driver in guest,
- Reboot guest

Now service is running and I can shutdown from proxmox :)

Thanks for the help! Was pretty easy and obvious after all

So what was really the problem? The Serial driver?

We do not use qemu guest agent, Shutdown works fine, but only with all motifications from best practices from 2008 Server (GPO, registry...)

But yes qemu-guest-agent is the future, and should work fine :)

I don't know for sure... I know it worked without the agent in the past (a few weeks ago). Maybe a Windows or Debian update broken something?

I just know that what I enumerated above worked (and of course enable agent in VM settings).

If there's a way to trace the problem without the agent, i'll be glad to assist if provided the proper instructions :)

Hi,
Sorry for bumping an old topic like this.
I just wanted to add one bit of info that could help anyone still stuck on this : The "PCI simple communication controller" mentionned in this article will only appear in your VM's device manager after you have enabled the QEMU agent in the proxmox interface :

upload_2019-8-19_16-13-12.png

following workflow if forgot to enable agent

shutdown machine
set qemu agent to enabled
start vm
add vioserial driver to pci simple commiunication cotroller
install qemu guest-agent if not already done

i would apreciate a package like the vmware tools thats automaticly detects and installs all missing

for more practical infos check

Timecode added to Link
Timecode added to Link
https://youtu.be/-l2PRwgq66Y?t=1883
in german language

Reactions: fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!