VM with Win time gets back with 2h often!

Bidi

Renowned Member
Feb 12, 2016
Hello guys,

I just notice a problem because some of my customers complain about this and truly we never had this problem on proxmox 3.

We use proxmox 5 on some of ower servers for 2mo now and i notice this problem only on them and not on the old servers with proxmox 3, and i truly dont understand why or how to fix it, i searched and nothink.

So i install on VM Win 7 or Win 10 or Win Server i setup the time, date, and the timezone all oka, after some time i think 2-3 h the time get back with 2h :| instead to be 12:50 is 10:50

I deactiated even the sync timezone, setup the location, changed the timezone from +2 to +4 i got the same problem.

I noticed this time change even if i reboo the vm :|

I dont know why and i never had this problem, and i play with proxmox and vms.. for more themn 3-4 years now.

Can anyone please give me a hint or sompting how to fix this

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi,

PVE does not sync the time with KVM guest.
Only at the start time of the kvm process get the host time.

Hi,

PVE does not sync the time with KVM guest.
Only at the start time of the kvm process get the host time.

My win kvm i made it to check this problem i didnt reboot for 1 week now and it keeps changing the time, i put it to real time after some time it gets back

Dose anyone have any solution for this ? It started to be a big mass with the time for all the customers on proxmox 5

* Which NTP-Server do you use for the Windows VM? (where is it running, virtualized?, what is its timezone time setting?)
* What's the Windows VMs config? (please post in code - tags)
* Is the time on the Proxmox hypervisor ok?

* Which NTP-Server do you use for the Windows VM? (where is it running, virtualized?, what is its timezone time setting?)
* What's the Windows VMs config? (please post in code - tags)
* Is the time on the Proxmox hypervisor ok?

root@:~# timedatectl
Local time: Tue 2019-02-19 12:11:34 EET
Universal time: Tue 2019-02-19 10:11:34 UTC
RTC time: Tue 2019-02-19 10:11:34
Time zone: Europe/Bucharest (EET, +0200)
Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
RTC in local TZ: yes

root@:~# date
Tue Feb 19 12:19:38 EET 2019
root@:~#

root@:~# hwclock
2019-02-19 10:29:06.198270+0200

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
ide0: local:171/vm-171-disk-0.qcow2,cache=writeback,size=100G
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
localtime: 1
memory: 6144
name: VPS
net0: e1000=7A:C6:B0:2C:82:07,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: other
smbios1: uuid=4b5017eb-9ed2-468e-a2b5-822a66f39f46
sockets: 1

The date, time, timezone is set corect to proxmox
I tryed even with timedatectl set-local-rtc 0

The server is in Romania / Bucharest.
What i dont understand i have this problem only on the 3 servers (cluster) with proxmox 5
And on other with promox 3 they ar not in cluster no, never.
I enter on the VPS, change the time, after a couple of time it changes back again with 2h.
Or even when i reboot them it get the time incorect.

could you try to set the ostype of the vm to a fitting Windows version? (PVE sets a few Qemu parameters regarding whether the clock is in localtime or utc based on that setting)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!