VM with GPU passthrough freezes when turning off monitor after proxmox 6.2 upgrade

freebeerz

Renowned Member
Aug 5, 2015
Hi,

My setup:
- upgraded from Promox 6.1 to 6.2
- Linux VM: Fedora 32 with GPU passthrough (AMD Sapphire 280x) => worked fine with Proxmox 6.1
- One monitor with integrated USB hub (keyboard + mouse) plugged into the GPU and USB devices passed through to the VM

I have a very weird bug with the new qemu 5.0 in proxmox 6.2:

When I electrically turn off the monitor by using a switch on the power socket, the VM freezes instantly. No pings. Nothing in dmesg or journalctl. When I turn the screen back on, the picture is frozen to whatever was displayed before. Mouse and keyboard don't work.
I can kill the frozen VM with "qm stop" (it has to do a SIGKILL)

If I just put the screen in standby I don't get any freeze.

Maybe it's the GPU or it could be an issue with the USB devices disappearing suddenly (on standby the hub is still powered)...

In any case, I rolled back to pve-qemu-kvm 4.2.0-1 (apt-get install pve-qemu-kvm=4.2.0-1) and I don't get this issue anymore.

So this feels like some sort of regression in qemu 5...

If anyone has any idea how to debug this issue further? Any qemu logs I could find somewhere?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!