Vm-to-VM communication

1nerdyguy

Apr 17, 2014
I'm on a Microserver with 1 nic, all hooked into the same bridge. I transfer a lot of files from VM to VM, for various reasons. However, by the speeds I'm getting (29 MB/s for large ISOs), I'm assuming this is all going out the bridge and then coming back in the bridge to the other VM.

Is there a better way to transfer files Vm to Vm? I'm thinking something like the Vmware VSwitch.

I have not tried OpenVswitch, as I am unfamiliar with the config on it, but would love that it worked out to be that easy.

One VM is a Ubuntu 14.04 KVM box, with virtio nic. The other one is a Ubuntu 12.04 OpenVZ instance. I've tried Iperf, SCP, you name it, all slow.

>> Ubuntu 12.04 OpenVZ instance.

veth (bridged) or venet (routed)?

(veth is known to be slower, but not so slow)

I don't known if you can test between 2 kvm guests ?

Don't have a second KVM guest on here, but I'll get one started on install. It's a VETH network on the OpenVZ.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!