VM (not thin) - if I should leave some free space for snapshots?

alexc

Apr 13, 2015
If I have only one LVM (not LVM-Thin) volume to use on Proxmox host, is there any rules to follow when create it?

From the old days I recall that one should leave some % of VG space free so snapshot can be made if I do snapshot-type backup of running VM - is it true?

So to say, in my old days (maybe PVE 1.8 or 2.x) once I saw a situation that backup of a VM running from 'local' to 'local' backup storage wasn't successful due to lack of LVM free space (but as I stop the VM it run with no problem).

From the old days I recall that one should leave some % of VG space free so snapshot can be made if I do snapshot-type backup of running VM - is it true?

The VM snapshot backup method in the GUI is also named snapshot, but does not rely on the storage snapshot capability. KVM/QEmu does the memory and storage snapshotting for a couple of years, so this is used instead of the storage end.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!