VM no network connection

swainy

Jun 9, 2019
Hello,

I am using OVH as a host provider for my dedicated server. When I use LXC Containers, failover IP's from OVH work correctly for example 5.2.3.4 (Fail over IP) with the GW of 1.2.3.254 (GW for main IP for dedicated server) with the virtual mac address assigned to. However, when I create a virtual machine bridging it to vmbr0 and the virtual mac address I am unable to get a network connection when configuring the virtual machine OS to use static IP with the GW of 1.2.3.254.

Any ideas?

Hi,

did you register the IP with the Guest mac in the OVH control panel?

Hi,

did you register the IP with the Guest mac in the OVH control panel?

Hi,

I already registered the IP with the Guest mac int he OVH control panel, LXC containers with this work fine but VM's get no internet connection -> linux or windows

Last edited:
hi,

maybe you didn't set up the bridge correctly.

send us your:
- `qm config VMID`
- `cat /etc/network/interfaces`

hi,

maybe you didn't set up the bridge correctly.

send us your:
- `qm config VMID`
- `cat /etc/network/interfaces`

The /etc/network/interfaces was pre-setup using OVH promxox image and I have uploaded these as screenshots for you

Attachments

• qm.png
    qm.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 138
  • interfaces.png
    interfaces.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 134
is eth2 configured correctly and set to auto?

does your `ip a` output look right?

eth2 was not set to auto but now is

did that solve your problem? can you try again?

do:
Code:
apt install ifupdown2 # if not installed
ifreload -a

how are you checking the network connection in the vms? did you do your network configuration correctly in the vm? what kind of error do you get? (dns error, route error, not seeing interface etc.)

how are you checking the network connection in the vms? did you do your network configuration correctly in the vm? what kind of error do you get? (dns error, route error, not seeing interface etc.)

The vm connection IP has been assigned with the static IP from ovh that matches the vmac. For example for windows I have done static IP -> subnet mask and then gw of the main server. DNS set same as proxmox host and secondary of 8.8.8.8. Ping test fails with 100% packet loss.

Virto drivers installed too

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!