VM migration enhancements

webfrank

May 28, 2011
Hi,
I think it would be useful to have the possibility to live migrate more than one VM in one step, just select multiple VMs on one node and click migrate to another one.

One little issue I found on live migration is that select box of available nodes does not consider the running one, this way if I'm on kvm01 and want to migrate to kvm02 select box alway shows me the first one, kvm01, regardless I'm running the VM on it.

I think it would be useful to have the possibility to live migrate more than one VM in one step, just select multiple VMs on one node and click migrate to another one.
Seems like this might take a lot of effort to implement.
I would rarely if ever use such a feature, but I could see how it would be useful.

One little issue I found on live migration is that select box of available nodes does not consider the running one, this way if I'm on kvm01 and want to migrate to kvm02 select box alway shows me the first one, kvm01, regardless I'm running the VM on it.
I was just about to post an idea similar to this.
My aggravation is that I have lots of nodes that use DRBD, so the storage is only available on two nodes yet the GUI lists all the nodes.

So I would like to see the list of nodes for the migration destination filtered by:
1. Only nodes that have access to the storage(s) utilized by the VM being migrated.
2. Only list nodes that are available.

Seems like this might take a lot of effort to implement.
I would rarely if ever use such a feature, but I could see how it would be useful.

Think of node maintenance, you should migrate 20 vm one by one.

That's for HA but would be useful to have a maintenance mode where all VM/CT, also not HA enabled, get migrated. I think something like the actual dialog but once selected more than one VM a loop which will create a task per VM, this way should be simple to implement, I think.

I would like to work on this if I have a litlle.
I have host with +- 60vms, and I live migrate them when I upgrade proxmox.
For now I use custom bash script, listing the vmid in /etc/pve/qemu-server, then launching "qm migrate" command line in a loop.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!