VM List enhancements

mva

Renowned Member
Dec 9, 2008
Hi there,

First of all thank you guys! You've done a great job. We have been using PVE in various production environments since the first public version 0.9 and stability has never been a problem. Keep this quality level!

A few GUI improvements for the VM listing page came up into my mind:

1. List sort option
It would be nice to be able to sort all VMs at least by VMID and name. We are running 30+ containers in many of our hw-nodes and to find a particular container by name may sometimes be a job. Especially when the VMIDs are not assigned in a running sequence but based on intranet ip addresses like in my case.

2. Description column
In addition to the container name a short description field would help alot. You could see the whole environment at a glance instead of peeking into every single container to see the notes. The case is often so that you can't remember the purpose and services running on a container just by its name. And it's even more difficult when the VE naming convention is not so descriptive. I realize that the gui relies heavily on openvz and qemu, but the description column could be a short snippet from the beginning of VM notes if it's not possible to implement that as an independent property.

3. VE grouping / hierarchy
Yet another suggestion to help to manage a big number of containers. If every container could be a member of some group and the groups could have user modifiable names. In the VM listing page you could then expand/collapse these groups in order to show hide the containers withing the group.

Regards,
MV

Hi there,

First of all thank you guys! You've done a great job. We have been using PVE in various production environments since the first public version 0.9 and stability has never been a problem. Keep this quality level!

A few GUI improvements for the VM listing page came up into my mind:

1. List sort option
It would be nice to be able to sort all VMs at least by VMID and name. We are running 30+ containers in many of our hw-nodes and to find a particular container by name may sometimes be a job. Especially when the VMIDs are not assigned in a running sequence but based on intranet ip addresses like in my case.

we discussed this already but we do not get the time to find the best way to do this - but we will think about it again (the problem is that we refresh this list)

2. Description column
In addition to the container name a short description field would help alot. You could see the whole environment at a glance instead of peeking into every single container to see the notes. The case is often so that you can't remember the purpose and services running on a container just by its name. And it's even more difficult when the VE naming convention is not so descriptive. I realize that the gui relies heavily on openvz and qemu, but the description column could be a short snippet from the beginning of VM notes if it's not possible to implement that as an independent property.

but how to deal with the limited space? can you make a suggestions? maybe you just paint a screen to visualize what you mean?

3. VE grouping / hierarchy
Yet another suggestion to help to manage a big number of containers. If every container could be a member of some group and the groups could have user modifiable names. In the VM listing page you could then expand/collapse these groups in order to show hide the containers withing the group.

I will add this to our todo/wishlist.

but how to deal with the limited space? can you make a suggestions? maybe you just paint a screen to visualize what you mean?

Just an idea: How about a little window that pops up with the notes of that vm when you hover your mouse over that vm? (not a real browser popup, but those balloons you can create with ajax.... Like now when you click on the red arrow)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!