VM isolated

igurvich

Sep 18, 2017
I've installed a Ubuntu 16.04 server vm on a node in my cluster but for some reason it's isolated from everyone and I can't ping it even from the node it's located on. when I run tcpdump it shows that the ARP request for the host is looping and can't find it.
Node IP: 172.16.17.120
VM IP 172.16.17.148

ip addr
Capture.PNG

/etc/network/interfaces
Capture2.PNG

VM network interface config
Capture3.PNG

Also when I start running the vm I receive an error message saying "failed to run vncproxy" , but the machine starts fine. Is there a connection?

EDIT: I'm still trying to troubleshoot and created another VM inside the same node and these two can ping each other. Trying to tcpdump on the interface on the node where the vm is located i see no traffic from these nodes despite them being bridged to this interface.

Last edited:
how does your host network config look like ?

how does your host network config look like ?

I've made a few changes but here is the topology of the network I've built:
Drawing1.jpg

the 192.168.17.0/24 is a host only network and the 172.16.17.0/24 is NAT.

Capture.PNG
The VMware machine config of the host

Capture2.PNG
ip link output

Capture3.PNG Capture4.PNG
/etc/network/interfaces

Capture5.PNG
from the web portal

Capture6.PNG
ip route output

but you gave the vm an ip in the 172.x.x.x range not 192.x.x.x (so not like in your picture)?
also why the pointtopoint entry in the vm network config ?

So after rebuilding my entire network and playing around with options I've changed the interface model from virtIO to realtech. Seems to have fixed the issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!