VM in HA stops if cluster node reboots while backing up to NFS storage

Gonzalo

Jul 26, 2016
I have several virtual machines setup in high availability. I use CEPH as shared storage for VMs disks. I have an NFS storage mounted to live backup nightly all the VMs.

Last night the server that hosts NFS rebooted while a backup was performing. The cluster node hosting the VM that was doing the backup rebooted, presumably because it became unstable due to the NFS communitacion failure.

After reboot, the VM in HA did not start. The error shown was:

VM is locked (backup)​

I had firstly to remove de VM from the HA menu, and secondly to execute the next command from the cluster node hosting this VM.

qm unlock ID​

Any idea why the node rebooted while backing-up combined with the NFS communication failure? How to fix it or workaround it?

Any idea why the VM did not start automatically (it is in HA) and why did I have to manually unlock it? How can I automate this?

Thanks in advance.
Gonzalo.

Will it be more safe to do backups to GlusterFS?

Maybe NFS is not safe enough for online backups?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!