VM images are not found

rahul

Mar 13, 2013
Hello,

I had migrated some VMs (windows and linux) into a new node. Both old and new nodes are proxmox 2.3. The old node has been formatted. The migrated VMs are working fine with the new node.

New node contains 2 additional disk drives (disk1 and disk2, which are mounted and active). I have selected disk2 as hdd storage space for migrated VMs.

But I'm afraid that I couldn't see the raw image files of those VMs inside disk2, and couldn't find in local/disk1 also. Checked via proxmox interface as well as shell, no result..! Also we have not deleted any image files.

We cannot migrate/take backup/reboot these VMs as the image files are missing (tried it with risk, but failed). Please note that all the VMs are working well still.

Anybody had this problem???? Please help!!

Regards
Rahul

Last edited:
Hello,

I had migrated some VMs (windows and linux) into a new node. Both old and new nodes are proxmox 2.3. The old node has been formatted. The migrated VMs are working fine with the new node.

New node contains 2 additional disk drives (disk1 and disk2, which are mounted and active). I have selected disk2 as hdd storage space for migrated VMs.

But I'm afraid that I couldn't see the raw image files of those VMs inside disk2, and couldn't find in local/disk1 also. Checked via proxmox interface as well as shell, no result..! Also we have not deleted any image files.

We cannot migrate/take backup/reboot these VMs as the image files are missing (tried it with risk, but failed). Please note that all the VMs are working well still.

Anybody had this problem???? Please help!!

Regards
Rahul
Hi,
your VMs are running but you can't find the images?

Please post the VM-config and storage-config:
Code:
cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
mount
Udo

Hello Udo,

Please find the results as follows:

==========
This is the details of VM with ID:125

/etc/pve/qemu-server/125.conf

#Pulic IP%3A **.**.**.**
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
ide0: vm-disk2:125/vm-125-disk-1.raw,size=30G
ide1: vm-disk2:125/vm-125-disk-2.raw,size=100G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
ide3: vm-disk2:125/vm-125-disk-3.qcow2,size=50G
memory: 2048
name: production-server
net0: rtl8139=03:07:9E:D1:49:18,bridge=vmbr0,rate=100
ostype: win7
sockets: 1

---

/etc/pve/storage.cfg

dir: vm-disk2
path /disk2
content images
maxfiles 1

---

mount | grep disk2

/dev/sdb1 on /disk2 type ext3 (rw)

---

ls /disk2/images/125/ --> is blank

===============================

Regards
Rahul

Hi,
looks strange - perhaps /disk2 is mounted after the images is transferred? In this case disk2 is not used and can be unmounted without trouble.
In case of an open file the unmount will fail.

You wrote, the file isn't deleted, but perhaps you can copy the raw-file for safety - see this thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9258-Deleted-image-of-running-vm
And you can see where is the open file is with lsof.

Udo

Hello,

Very useful information. Udo, thank you very much my friend.

As you suggested I have checked the things using lsof command, and found it as deleted, then copied (recovered) the file. Eg:

kvm 1047572 root 16u REG 8,17 107374182400 22667267 (deleted)/disk2/images/125/vm-125-disk-2.raw
kvm 1047572 root 18u REG 8,17 32212254720 22667266 (deleted)/disk2/images/125/vm-125-disk-1.raw
kvm 1047572 root 20u REG 8,17 53695545344 22667268 (deleted)/disk2/images/125/vm-125-disk-3.qcow2

We have checked the history of commands, and couldn't find the command for delete yet. Still afraid how it happened..!! Anyway we recovered everything.

A big thank you again :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!