VM doesn't have Internet access

Irgand

Jul 12, 2018
Hello! I recently started using ProxMox and i like it, but i have some problems. I have installed ProxMox in VirtualBox and created VM Ubuntu 16.04 with Bridge network interface, but i doesn't have Internet access from VM. I have Internet in host. Thanks in advance for you help.

Version ProxMox: 5.1-41
Version VirtualBox: 5.1.38

More information in file "VM does not have Internet access.txt"

Attachments

• VM does not have Internet access.txt
    408 bytes · Views: 91
It looks fine at first glance to me, though I am no networking guru. If you open the Proxmox shell console, can you ping your vm?

My VM does not ping. Most likely the problem in VirtualBox, because with VMware works.

I had the same issue. By default, proxmox is creating virtio for their Vm.
This is not working in virtualbox based environment. By selecting e1000 in place of virtio in proxmox this is working

Currently testing pfSense and ProxMox 5.3 as VirtualBox VM's. pfSense setup to route traffic -- this was tested OK with a different VBox VM (systemrescueCD) PVE could see Internet OK. Any LXC container could only ping hosts on local host-only network.

Working off of this wiki page
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_inside_VirtualBox

Found that if I edit /etc/network/interfaces and explictly put a gateway entry.... works, can ping all hosts on the host-only network, the pfSense box, hosts on my home network and internet as well.

PVE is creating entries in the container route add etc... these don't seem to be working.

When I restart the container, my gateway entry is removed and the route-add commands are there again

I know the wiki page linked above cites a 2nd NIC using "NAT".... but I don't see how that is used in this particular setup.

Is there more info as to why LXC container has the extra lines added by PVE?

Section from my /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.56.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
# --- BEGIN PVE ---
post-up ip route add 192.158.56.2 dev eth0
post-up ip route add default via 192.158.56.2 dev eth0
pre-down ip route del default via 192.158.56.2 dev eth0
pre-down ip route del 192.158.56.2 dev eth0
# --- END PVE ---

Hello,

Virtualbox is very disturbing with network configuration. Their basic strategy is to create isolated networks to test without risking to transmit to the extwrnal world.
Virtual networks are like virtual machines, isolated.
The second wrong assessment is to suppose a symetry in the device configuration. It is closer to reality to view the network device as unidirectional.

The specific topology, that you want to build, is achived by deploying multiple devices. Each device is managing one of the route you want.

Now, just review the virtualbox documentation with this new perspective and you will be able to build any kind of topology.

If you want a ready made config with a proxmox virtualization in virtualbox, you can use mine but it is less fun.

The proxmox is virtualized in virtualbox with fix local ip adress and internet connection. Deployed proxmox Vm also have access to internet. Remote access to the proxmox hypervisor could be achieved by ssh port forwarding. Remote access to local proxmox node could be achieved with vagrant remore access.

You will find my full documentation

On github.com user: pcolot01 project: /vagrant-proxmox file: /blob/master/README.md

Best regards

Pierre

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!