VLAN management stops working after update

Mikael

Renowned Member
Jun 1, 2012
When I installed proxmox 2.1 from the iso and get Kernel pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve that is default install with no upgrade, vlan settings work as intended:
I make a new bridge "vmbr1" and I set no IP and adds a nic under "Bridge ports:" then in settings of the guestnic I add the bridge newly made and add a vlan tag to it.

Then I upgrade according to http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel Kernel 2.6.32 (recommended) I get kernel pve-kernel-2.6.32-12-pve.
After the upgrade, VLAN stops working on guest, it does not matter if i redo the settings or even try to manually add a vlan nic on the host just for test i get no communication on that vlan.

Seems there is a bug in the newer kernel.
Is there anyone else that have the same problem?

Regards
Mikael

Yes, the vlans are working fine on my 2.1 test machine, but Im not sure wether or not we're using the same setup.

The way I have it set up is that the host has 1 management port and another port thats q-tagging enabled (eth1). Then I have eth1.<vlanID> vlan interfaces on the HOST machine and use these interfaces for bridged network access of the containers (which are using veth interfaces)

i have 3 servers with 3 different behaviors, all running 2.6.32-12 and intel-onboard-nics

1: no problems, tagged and untagged
2: only works when using tagged vlans also for default. when adding untagged vlan, tagged vlans stops working
3: no vlans at all ar working, just untagged

another bad thing is, when livemigrating openvz using a bridge with vlan from 3 to 1 or 2 the targetserver crashes. but thats not critical because the vm is unreachable anyway and can be migrated offline

I just figured out that one of my systems is also affected. It behaves like your no. 3. The mainboard is a supermicro X7DWU. Downgrading the kernel topve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve, reboot the system -> anything is fine again.

I've noticed that the nic hardware is somewhat different but both use the igb driver. Here lspci from the system that makes trouble:
Code:
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
0a:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

This system is running kernel pve-kernel-2.6.32-12-pve without problems:
Code:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

Same trouble here after upgrade to 2.6.32-12, tagged vlans stopped to work.
Version 11 works OK.

I'm running in 2.6.32-12 with vlans, but I might be doing it differently than others. Here's a snippet of my /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
auto vmbr534
iface vmbr534 inet static
    bridge_ports eth0.534
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr590
iface vmbr590 inet static
    bridge_ports eth0.590
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr777
iface vmbr777 inet static
    bridge_ports eth0.777
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr918
iface vmbr918 inet static
    bridge_ports eth0.918
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!