VLAN Aware option

jon.langemak

Oct 31, 2014
I cant find any official documentation on what this setting enables but some people seem to be saying it enables Q in Q configuration. Is that accurate? If so - can someone give me an example of when you might use that?

I cant find any official documentation on what this setting enables but some people seem to be saying it enables Q in Q configuration. Is that accurate? If so - can someone give me an example of when you might use that?

It is not a question of Proxmox - just a LINUX issue. Since Proxmox is based on LINUX debian it works as described here:

http://www.microhowto.info/howto/configure_an_ethernet_interface_as_a_qinq_vlan_trunk.html

You can use as interfaces also linux bridges, but not openvswitch!

vlan aware option is not related to QinQ.

it's enable vlan filtering on linux bridge ports, like ovs.

Classic linux bridge don't support vlans, that why we need to tag on ethx.y interface

classic bridge
--------------------
eth0------->vmbr0
then when you use vlan tag is vm configuration, proxmox create new bridges and tagged interfaces

eth0.100---->vmbr0v100
eth0.101---->vmbr0v101

vlan aware bridge
---------------------------
eth0----->vmbr0

then proxmox will tag ports of the vmbr0, with correct vlan.
ports of vmbr0 are vm tap interfaces (tapXiY)
eth0----->vmbr0---(vlan100)--->tapXiY
---(vlan101)---->tapXiY

(This is exactly the same than openvswitch)

Now for QinQ, it seem that it don't works fine for now with vlan aware bridge,
user have reported working configuration with

eth0.10---->vmbr0

then using vlan tag in vm configuration (100 and 101 for example),
proxmox will create new bridges like this

eth0.10.100--->vmbr0v100
eth0.10.101--->vmbr0v100

I'll try to update the wiki soon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!