virtualbox

gte451f

Mar 16, 2010
I've got a number of Windows virtual servers on Ubuntu/Virtualbox. Can I convert them to run on Proxmox (KVM)?

not tried that recently. can you give all details about your setup and I will try this to reproduce in our lab.

version of virtualbox, settings for the VM, Version of Windows, ...

not tried that recently. can you give all details about your setup and I will try this to reproduce in our lab.

version of virtualbox, settings for the VM, Version of Windows, ...

I'm working with Windows XP SP1 and SP2 hosted on an Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop install running VM 3.08.

Proxmox is on a Dell T300 using the 1.5 Proxmox bare metal installer.

I'm able to convert the VDI files used by Virtualbox to .IMG raw files. I then copy them over to Proxmox via SSH where I convert them to QCOW2.

Proxmox reconizes the images if I place them in the Virtual Servers image folder. I normally replace the newly created Virtual HDD with the incoming converted image and start the virtual machine.

I get a brief windows XP flash than a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). I pop in a Windows Install cd and attempt chkdsk along with rebuilding the MBR and other dos based recovery commands. None of them seem to work.

I am able to salvage the image by doing a "Repair Install" of Windows XP on the now corrupted image. This leads to a working install that retains most of the settings from the original XP install though I have to reactivate nearly everthing (OS, MS Office, etc).

I see that I can export a VMDK file from VirtualBox and may try that next.

I'm trying to do just about the opposite. I have a bunch of vzdump tarballs I'd like to convert for use in virtualbox.
I was intending to use VBoxManage convertfromraw, however 7-zip can't extract the vzdumps.

Are these special tarballs only qmrestore can use?
What would be the recommended procedure for this conversion?

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to do just about the opposite. I have a bunch of vzdump tarballs I'd like to convert for use in virtualbox.
I was intending to use VBoxManage convertfromraw, however 7-zip can't extract the vzdumps.

Are these special tarballs only qmrestore can use?
What would be the recommended procedure for this conversion?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
the files are compressed with normal gzip. Just do a
Code:
tar xvzf vzdump-qemu-101-2010_04_10-07_00_02.tgz
-rw-r--r-- root/root       595 2010-04-10 07:00 qemu-server.conf
-rw-r--r-- root/root 8589934592 2010-04-10 07:00 vm-disk-virtio0.raw
and you get all you need.

Udo

VirtualBox...it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction.
thanks,..

Shawn, you are kidding or it's a troll ? You are on a Proxmox forum here.

Proxmox ve is a professional virtualization solution developped under GPL license. It is aimed at a professional solution, as it has for example a bare metal installer, like VMWARE ESX. It has also many nice features, like clusterization, slick web interface management of the cluster, live migration (for KVM), snapshots (with LVM), backup with vzdump. Porxmox provides two virtualization solutions, both GPL : openvz and KVM. I use only KVM. As you perhaps know, KVM is included in mainline kernel, so it is available with every linux distribution. The fact that it is in the kernel insures that it will remain free GPL (at least till the linux kernel remains free, and I don't see a change in the license coming soon for kernel...)... This is one of the main reason why I chose KVM.

There are other GPL professional virtualization solution, like Xen (supported by many vendors).

In contrast, virtual box is aimed primarily as a desktop solution, even, as I read, some nice professional features have been added recently (live migration...). Only the free version is GPL, the full edition is closed (read your own links).
Morover, VirtualBox, which was bought by SUN, is now owned by Oracle. Do you know what happened to other open source projects from Oracle : OpenSolaris, OpenOffice and so on... ?

I'll certainly try virtualbox (at least on Windows), but in my opinion it remains a desktop solution.

Most of us here use Proxmox ve in a production environment. And we are waiting for version 2...

Alain

I can add that KVM was developed by Qumraned, which was bought by Red Hat two years ago. In contrast to Oracle, Red Hat always released the products it bought in close source, as GPL products. Red Hat make money from support. And Red Hat is very active in the development of KVM, which is the only virtualization solution provided in RHEL 6 (no more Xen).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!