Virtual machines don't start if no qourum

giner

Oct 14, 2009
Tokyo
Three Proxmox VE 2.2 servers in a cluster. If I start first server and wait some time it starts but no VMs started. As I understood from https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=332 this is a feature and not a bug. But VMs of that first server still don't start when I start the rest of servers. And finally I have three servers with VMs started on only two of them:

• Server1: VMs not started
  • Server2: VMs started
  • Server3: VMs started

How to change this behavior so as not to start some machines manually after servers up.

> You can try to start all three servers at the same time.
Sometimes this is not an option.
What about implementing something similar to 'wfc-timeout' in DRBD config, let's say quorum timeout, and it would work in the following way:
it waits for quorum for NN seconds during boot process and asks for options at the same time:
- press N to boot without quorum (read only), this is a default option after timeout
- press S to boot without quorum (read only) and start pve-manager
NN can be 0, that means it should wait until manual interaction.

it waits for quorum for NN seconds during boot process and asks for options at the same time:

This is already implemented - see /etc/init.d/cman for details

Code:
# CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT -- amount of time to wait for a quorate cluster on
#     startup quorum is needed by many other applications, so we may as
#     well wait here.  If CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT is zero, quorum will
#     be ignored.
[ -z "$CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT" ] && CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT=45

This is already implemented - see /etc/init.d/cman for details

Code:
# CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT -- amount of time to wait for a quorate cluster on
#     startup quorum is needed by many other applications, so we may as
#     well wait here.  If CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT is zero, quorum will
#     be ignored.
[ -z "$CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT" ] && CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT=45

I can't remember user interaction.
Problem is that if I set CMAN_QUORUM_TIMEOUT, for example, 600 seconds I can't force it not to wait interactively.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!