Virtual Disk Gone Missing

Luca Malaspina

Apr 27, 2017
Hi,

I am having a bit of a crisis with Proxmox V5 at the moment,

One of our critical corporate servers local backup has been failing since Thursday night with the following message:

'command 'rsync --stats -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/19079/root///./ /backups/local//dump/vzdump-lxc-104-2017_08_11-00_09_48.tmp' failed: exit code 23'

The machine seemed to be okay though in terms of functionality, just the backup was not working.

In an attempt to fix this issue, I shut down the container in question, but backing it up gave the same result.

I restarted the host server to then see if this helped in any way, but unfortunately after that, the container would not, and still will not boot.

Trying to start it gives me the following message:

Task viewer: CT 104 - Start
Output
Status
Stop
Job for lxc@104.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status lxc@104.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
TASK ERROR: command 'systemctl start lxc@104' failed: exit code 1

I have checked /dev/mapper and /dev/vg_iscsi to find that the disk, 'vm-104-disk-2' doesn't even seem to exist any more, I have used 'find' and locate' but I have no idea where the disk has gone.

I can migrate the machine from one host node to another and it does say:

'volume 'ArrayStorage_ISCSI:vm-104-disk-2' is on shared storage 'ArrayStorage_ISCSI'

so is this telling me that in fact the disk still exists comewhere?

If I can't resolve this issue by 6PM GMT, I will have to face the music and just restore to Wednesday Night's backup (which will cost the company an entire 2 days work) so I am hoping someone else out there has had a similar experience and knows of a way we can get this back up and working again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou

Luca

check the output of
Code:
lvs

check the output of
Code:
lvs

Thankyou,

I've done this and the output has shown every disk, besides the one that has gone missing.

Code:
 LV            VG       Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log C       py%Sync Convert
  data          pve      twi-a-tz-- 142.84g             0.00   0.44                    
  root          pve      -wi-ao----  55.50g                                            
  swap          pve      -wi-ao----   8.00g                                            
  vm-100-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-a-----  15.00g                                            
  vm-101-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-a----- 150.00g                                            
  vm-102-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-ao----  50.00g                                            
  vm-103-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-a-----   8.00g                                            
  vm-103-disk-2 vg_iscsi -wi-a-----  15.00g                                            
  vm-106-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-a----- 100.00g                                            
  vm-108-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-ao---- 100.00g                                            
  vm-199-disk-1 vg_iscsi -wi-a----- 100.00g

I have the same Problem after an upgrade to PVE 7 and PBS 2.
please do not bump old threads with no info. it would be best to open a new thread with all the necessary information

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!