VIRTIO Balloon with FreeBSD (OPNsense)

Nov 11, 2012
Austria
Hi,

I am running OPNsense in Proxmox and I would like to get the balloon driver working properly so I can get correct memory readings in Proxmox. Right now for example Proxmox reports 3.35GB/4GB while OPNsense itself reports only 740MB is used.

I have searched a lot online and found some information on how to load the virtio kernel modules, but I think they are already loaded inside the kernel somehow (I am not that familiar with the details on how exactly the kernel works), because when I try to load e.g. virtio_balloon with "kldload virtio_balloon" I get this response:
kldload: can't load virtio_balloon: module already loaded or in kernel

When I grep virtio from dmesg I get this, which leads me to believe that the driver really is loaded:
virtio_pci0: <VirtIO PCI Balloon adapter> port 0xc0a0-0xc0bf mem 0xfe000000-0xfe003fff irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci0
vtballoon0: <VirtIO Balloon Adapter> on virtio_pci0
virtio_pci1: <VirtIO PCI Console adapter> port 0xc000-0xc03f mem 0xfeaf5000-0xfeaf5fff,0xfe004000-0xfe007fff irq 11 at device 8.0 on pci0
virtio_pci2: <VirtIO PCI Block adapter> port 0xc040-0xc07f mem 0xfeaf6000-0xfeaf6fff,0xfe008000-0xfe00bfff irq 10 at device 10.0 on pci0
vtblk0: <VirtIO Block Adapter> on virtio_pci2

What I noticed is that I can't see any process called balloon or vballoon or something similar running when using top. So maybe the driver is just loaded and I still have to do something else to actually use it?

Does anyone here have experience with this or an idea I could try?

BTW in case you're wondering why I am not using the virtio network driver, I have PCIe NICs redirected directly.

Any help is much appreciated.

Reactions: Sven Jörns

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!