Virgin system advice required

vapour

Sep 28, 2020
Goal:
Self hosted website to facilitate video communication and live streaming between my family and isolated elderly loved-ones. (NOT A BUSINESS)

Equipment:
Dell R710 Server, 2x 2.93GHz X5670 12-Cores Total / 144GB RAM / 6x 2TB 3.5 SAS HDD, H700 w/ 512MB / iDRAC6 / DVD-ROM / 2x 870W PSU., Quad NICs. ASUS RT-AC66U. ZBox-ID88 16GB, 356GB 2.5" SATA 3Gb/s, dual NICs. Netgear ReadyNAS104 3X1TB HDD.

Software:
Video Streaming: Jitsi Meet
Web: Wordpress on Xampp
FW: PFSense w/ddns to Cloudflare, dhcp and dns to the LAN
WiFi Access: OpenWRT??

Questions:
Should I virtualize everything on the 710?
What is the best disk configuration?
What is the best approach for network configuration?

Thanks in advance everyone.:)

Vapour.

Hi,

Use the NAS for Backup.
Use the IPERC with default LVM-Thin as Storage.

Hi,

Use the NAS for Backup.
Use the IPERC with default LVM-Thin as Storage.

Thank you Wolfgang.. The IPERC H700 requires my 6x2TB have RAID. I'm leaning towards RAID6. Are there any issues I need to anticipate using LVM-Thin with hardware RAID6 and could I install Proxmox on a USB and place it in the dedicated boot port on the R710?

On the ZBox-ID88 I've installed Proxmox with the intent of having OpenWRT as my access point, Pfsense for routing, FW w/IDS & Net-mon, DHCP and DNS. Unfortunately, after post install update/dist-upgrade, the new 5.4.65 Linux kernel is not initializing and I manually have to launch 5.4.34. So there is a delay as we speak.

Thanks for your time.

Generally, you should not use Raid 5/6 for virtualization, because it kills the performance.
I'm inspection at the moment if Raid6 has problems with LVM-Thin.

Dont use USB sticks for boot. It gave me and others a lot of trouble. Grab a small ssd (industrial 8gb can be purchased for roughly 10€ on eBay) and place that on the onboard sata port. Will last longer and give you a better experience (search the forums for USB boot trouble if in doubt ;)).
All the brst

Reactions: vapour
Generally, you should not use Raid 5/6 for virtualization, because it kills the performance.
I'm inspection at the moment if Raid6 has problems with LVM-Thin.

Dont use USB sticks for boot. It gave me and others a lot of trouble. Grab a small ssd (industrial 8gb can be purchased for roughly 10€ on eBay) and place that on the onboard sata port. Will last longer and give you a better experience (search the forums for USB boot trouble if in doubt ;)).
All the brst

Great advice, thanks.

@tburger.
I just installed a 60Gb SSD in a DVD cage from Amazon and have installed PVE, let PVE partition it and it is the R710 boot disk.

@wolfgang.
I configured the IPERC H700 as follows; 4x2Tb in a RAID6 VD, and the other two disks as individual RAID 0 disks... at least for now. But after further reading I'm considering RAID50 for my needs (website with live video streaming during the pandemic and storage of medical information)
Question: If RAID5 or 6 is questionable in a virtualized environment, what is the community at large using?

Raid5/6 is not bad per se.
But it must match the workload.
E.g. it is better to use RAID10
- if you have more writes than reads
- if you have random write IO
- if you have small block sizes (IO)

If you are doing mainly reads then raid5/6 can even be better because not all controllers do a distributed read in RAID 10 - but as I said it all depends on what you want to do.

I have started with raid1 (zfs) but switched my backup repository to a raid-z3, because mainly the disks just sit there waiting for some IO. Even though these are 90+% writes I am doing fine, because there is not much going on ;)

See what I mean?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!