"Video mode not supported" when trying to install Proxmox on an HP Microserver

jsepia

Jan 10, 2017
I have an HP Proliant Gen7 Microserver with 8GB of RAM. I'm trying to install Proxmox from a 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive plugged into the internal USB port.

The first time I tried to install Proxmox on it, the installer worked perfectly, but I changed my mind halfway through the installation process for unrelated reasons and decided to reboot my server and tweak some settings in the BIOS (fix the system time, set the RAID controller to RAID mode, decrease video memory to 32MB). I also pulled out the motherboard to do some cable management and I put it back the way it was (presumably).

When I went back to trying to install Proxmox on it, the installer no longer worked. The server would boot and recognize just fine, but right after POST the monitor went blank and showed an error message. I tried three monitors; the first two, both Dell, show "Video mode not supported"; the third monitor, a Viewsonic, shows "Out of Range".

Here's all the ways I've tried to fix it:
  • reset the BIOS to the default settings (128MB of video RAM, AHCI mode)
  • replaced the monitor twice
  • tried connecting the server to the monitor via HDMI and DVI (using adapters)
  • tried another USB drive
  • tried other USB ports
  • redownloaded the ISO, reimaged the USB drives
  • reformatted the USB drives as exFAT, FAT32, GPT, MBR
  • tried the Debian and FreeNAS installers; both of them work (probably because they're text-based)
At this point I'm out of ideas. All I can tell is that my server's graphics card can no longer handle the Proxmox GUI installer (even though it did just fine the first time). Could I have messed something up when I pulled out the motherboard tray?

For the record, anything framebuffer-based, such as the BIOS or GRUB works fine. I haven't tried other GUI installers but that could help.

I could try installing Proxmox over Debian, but I really want to set up a ZFS array and the Debian installer doesn't give me that option.

Any thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my HP N54l Microserver. With the only difference that the installer won't boot at all with the error incorrect Video Input.(worked on other hardware though) I am also out of ideas and checked basically everything. I will try a previous version of Proxmox, but I guess something is incompatible with the onboard graphics or VGA ?!

I have the same problem with my HP N54l Microserver. With the only difference that the installer won't boot at all with the error incorrect Video Input.(worked on other hardware though) I am also out of ideas and checked basically everything. I will try a previous version of Proxmox, but I guess something is incompatible with the onboard graphics or VGA ?!

Update: I found a Solution for me in an other Forum!
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-3-4-out-of-range-at-install.21206/

Apparently the last post worked for me:

"As crazy as it sounds, as soon as your monitor jumps to "Unsupported Resolution" just hit enter on the keyboard and wait about 2 seconds. Should jump to a lower resolution and the rest of the install will run fine, for some reason that first splash screen has a tendency to throw my monitors into unsupported mode."

Reactions: martyz and jsepia
I'm using PVE 6.3 on a Dell T3610 with a HDMI and DP PCI card. After you hit enter to install, the screen scrambles and the ULA screen comes up but I can only see the top left of the screen. Everything else is off the screen. Tried pressing enter and id did nothing. Made guesses by hitting tab and got it installed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!