Video Card "helping processor when virtualization OSs "

Alvaro Lamadrid

Nov 5, 2017
Community,

I am new to the world of Virtualization and fairly new also to the world of computers, because of this please do apologize my ignorance.

Recently a friend of mine gave me an old AMD based PC with 8GB of RAM and I had a video card around so I installed it.

GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6400+

Now , assuming that my CPU "supports virtualization" (VT-x / AMD-v) is it possible to have my GPU help my CPU in more than Graphics Rendering tasks while virtualization Windows 7 with Proxmox VE as an example ?

Maybe my GPU already helps my CPU processing more than Graphics so in that case my question will be, can my GPU assist my CPU when a virtualized Windows 7 machine is processing any kind of data ?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Alvaro Lamadrid

Last edited:
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6400+

Now , assuming that my CPU "supports virtualization" (VT-x / AMD-v) is it possible to have my GPU help my CPU in more than Graphics Rendering tasks while virtualization Windows 7 with Proxmox VE as an example ?

First using GPU in VMs is only possible if both CPU, motherboard as well as GPU support IOMMU (also known AMD-Vi). Moreover that feature is experimental only, i.e. you can try by your own risk but no guarantee whether it will work reliably or not. See also https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough#GPU_PASSTHROUGH

Second: what do you mean by "more than Graphics Rendering tasks"? GPU is for graphics and nothing else .....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!