Very poor networking performance

roghan

Sep 9, 2014
Hi,
I installed the latest Proxmox release (3.4-6) on an Intel server, and I tried to configure a Linux bond. However, I get very poor networking performance and I'm not able to find out the issue! I have problems to connect to the only one Windows VM via RDP (also with VIRTIO driver installed) since the RDP connection often drops/hangs, and the iperf tool shows very bad values:

Code:
Server listening on TCP port 2001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  4] local 10.10.10.18 port 2001 connected with 10.10.10.138 port 52567
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-22.7 sec   640 KBytes   231 Kbits/sec

when other servers on same subnet/segment have more or less these values:

Code:
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   816 MBytes   685 Mbits/sec

I tried to change the bond mode from balancerr to actvice-backup with no performance change, and the network config is this one:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        slaves eth0 eth1
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode active-backup

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.10.10.18
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  10.10.10.1
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

Do you have any suggestion? It's impossible to work in this way :(.

Thanks in advance!!

For this kind of issues I would start maybe with a Linux live CD with a different kernel ( Debian is fine for instance), and run the iperf test again from there, to first get sure it's not a NIC/switch problem.

For this kind of issues I would start maybe with a Linux live CD with a different kernel ( Debian is fine for instance), and run the iperf test again from there, to first get sure it's not a NIC/switch problem.

manu, thank you for you suggestion! In fact, I found out the problem was a saturated switch that slowed down all connected devices and the Proxmox node itself. I solved my issue :D...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!