VE 5 installation fails right at the end

philled

May 25, 2015
I'm installing VE 5 on a machine with 2 hard disks and choosing ZFS0 as the file system. I erased all partitions off the disks before the installation. The installation seems to run smoothly right until the very end when I get this error which I can see when I press Ctrl-Alt-F2:

command 'chroot /rpool/ROOT/pve-1 dpkg --force-confold --configure -a' failed with exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 385
umount: /rpool/ROOT/pve-1/var/lib/vz: not mounted

I've tried multiple times. Can anyone advise how to fix this? I used the same installation CD to install onto a different machine a few weeks ago and it all worked fine.

I've been testing some more on this. I cannot get the installation to complete with ZFS0, but if I choose EXT4 it completes successfully. But why? What's the problem with ZFS here? I'd like the installation to be ZFS0 not EXT4.

No - the error must be earlier ...

Hi, I've got the install.log file off the machine. It's too large to paste here so I've put it up at http://www.oaklands.aust.com/Proxmox_install.txt.
Can you see anything there that looks suspicious? At line 17082 this happens which doesn't look good:

Setting up libfaketime:amd64 (0.9.6-7+b1) ...
Setting up libldap-2.4-2:amd64 (2.4.44+dfsg-5) ...
Setting up python3-chardet (2.3.0-2) ...
Segmentation fault
dpkg: error processing package python3-chardet (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139

Setting up novnc-pve (0.6-4) ...
Setting up libasprintf0v5:amd64 (0.19.8.1-2) ...
Setting up liburi-perl (1.71-1) ...

One thing I wondered was whether it could be a partitioning issue of some sort - previously the 2nd disk was a LVM partition and I wonder if there's a problem now making it a ZFS partition. Before the install I used Gparted to remove all the partitions but it didn't help.

Or some sort of problem updating /boot or grub perhaps?

Last edited:
Seem that "Segmentation fault" is the problem. But I have never seen that before, and I have install pve many times using zfs.
What kind of hardware do you run on (prozessor/board)?

What kind of hardware do you run on (prozessor/board)?
It's an HP XW workstation type PC with a couple of disks, one Seagate and can't remember the other, one on board NIC and an HP dual NIC as well.

What I ended up doing is installing v4.4 instead. That worked and then I used apt to upgrade to v5.0. Odd that 4.4 worked but not 5.0.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!