VE 5.0 Issues Noticed

Ashley

Jun 28, 2016
So have been testing 5.0 in a small cluster to see how thing's are, these are what I have noticed so far.

1/

When trying to do a live migration between two 5.0 Beta servers in a cluster the following error is displayed:

Mar 27 16:58:51 copying disk images
Mar 27 16:58:51 starting VM 184 on remote node 'cn2'
Mar 27 16:58:54 start remote tunnel
Mar 27 16:58:54 starting online/live migration on unix:/run/qemu-server/184.migrate
Mar 27 16:58:54 migrate_set_speed: 8589934592
Mar 27 16:58:54 migrate_set_downtime: 0.1
Mar 27 16:58:54 set migration_caps
Mar 27 16:58:54 set cachesize: 858993459
Mar 27 16:58:54 start migrate command to unix:/run/qemu-server/184.migrate
channel 2: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed
Mar 27 16:58:56 migration status error: failed

Offline Migration works fine

2/

I have noticed some issues when using the CPU models (host / host pass through) within KVM, when doing so I receive multiple errors from a kernel panic to a Ubuntu VM being stuck at random points during the boot process.

All occasions changing the CPU back to kvm64 resolves the issues instantly.

3/

Using CEPH + KRBD if I have the discard option ticket this causes the VM to run very slow and at some points for the boot process to time out, again un-ticking discard option causes the VM to run as per normal (this is the same with a clean new empty VM running either Linux or Windows)

I am happy to log bug tickets if these are defiantly "bug's" to me seem mostly new kernel version related.

1 is a known bug in Debian Stretch's ssh (as a workaround if you have a private network / only run tests, you can use the plain TCP migration)

feel free to file bug reports for 2 and 3, please include "pveversion -v" output and any relevant config files and logs! thanks

Reactions: mackerman

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!